Best iPhone version for Vietnam?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by henryonapple, Sep 12, 2013.

1. henryonapple macrumors 6502

I am going to Vietnam next week and was wondering which iPhone would perform the best over there. Should I bring an ATT, Tmobile, or Verizon iPhone?

I heard that Verizon iPhones are best for international.

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Went to Vietnam this past Spring, I had no issues with a factory unlocked AT&T iphone 5 and 4.

3. leletyM3 macrumors newbie

Unlocked iPhone 5 worked great for me in VN when I went back last year

4. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

What network was it for originally?

5. iMule macrumors 6502

The AT&T (GSM) model. I'm selling mine to a Vietnamese coworker. He's sending to a relative there.

6. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

interesting, I thought a CDMA phone would use the same bands over in Asia.

7. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

What kind of signal were you getting? 3G?

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Unlocked AT&T iPhone 4 worked great for me everywhere in VN. North, South, Islands. I just bought a local SIM from a small shop next to the hotel.

As for data, I saw 3G everywhere except near Ha Long Bay, which was Edge in some places, but the hotels have wi-fi anyway.

9. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

do you know if sprint/verizon iphone 4s work in vietnam?

10. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

11. damant macrumors 6502

damant

I can confirm unlocked AT&T iPhone 4 & regular Verizon's iPhone 5 work fine!
    Also sprint iPhone 5 will not work over there!( unless it's unlocked)

When it work , it works quite well; even apple map app & google map app work fine performing navigation.
    Have fun.

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

No idea. I only had the one unlocked AT&T iPhone4.

I walked to a street front convenience store and asked for a SIM. She got out a SIM card, popped the SIM out, put it in a punch to make it micro SIM size, and it worked great.

I know a GSM SIM like for AT&T and a CDMA SIM like for Verizon would be incompatible in each other's phones. The vendor didn't ask GSM/CDMA and I didn't say, so either I completely lucked out and got the right SIM, or Vietnam is primarily/exclusively GSM and that would be the default SIM sold.

13. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the info! I ended up getting ATT phones since it seems like they work everywhere and can be unlocked easily.

14. hughiee macrumors member

Your At&t unlocked iPhone should work fine in Vietnam's GSM networks.

15. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

ATT definitely. And GOLD.

16. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

The ATT/Tmobile/Verizon iPhone are the same exact model/phone, except the Verizon one has the CDMA radio activated.

Seeing how Vietnam doesn't use CDMA, this is a mute point. Get whichever model you want. (iPhone 5S)

But it doesn't really matter what you bring to Vietnam, they don't have LTE over there, and i don't even think they have HSPA+ running either.

17. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

They are the same exact model for the 5S and 5C, but not for the 5, 4s, and 4.

18. leletyM3 macrumors newbie

AT&T will work fine once unlocked! Just got a 5S with AT&T and unlocked now ready for any carrier.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon iPhone 5s are the same.

Also doesn't really matter for the 5.

For the 4S, you want the AT&T model.

For the 4, AT&T only since the Verizon one doesn't even have a SIM card slot.

20. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you!!!! Very valuable information!

21. kendu2412 macrumors regular

Anyone who commented here all from VN right ? Me too , and will back there next week too.

If your AT&T under contract , just $5 and will be unlocked and easy to use in VN.

If Verizon , no problem , because Verizon unlocked on GSM , easy too.

If Sprint , hard because you have to contact Sprint to get it unlocked for international and need to meet some stupid requirement from them . With 4S and 5 , easy to use with HeiCard , put your sim together with Heicard and unlocked . 5S , nothing confirmed yet because in VN they dont have 5S from Sprint ... yet.

If T-Mobile buy from Apple Store , totally factory unlocked .

If T-Mobile buy from T-Mobile store, that will be locked with T-Mobile and need meet some easy requirement from T-Mobile to get it unlocked.

Tính tới tính lui thì cứ xài của AT&T và Verizon là nhanh gọn lẹ nhất :apple:

22. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

I am vietnamese and used to live in vallejo!

23. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

Precisely. Nice and thorough -- and correct.

Frankly, I don't know why ANYBODY would use your american carrier overseas. International roaming rates are crimes against humanity.

Besides, once you see how cheap SIM cards and voice/data is in SE asia, you'll forever despise the capitalistic and political monopoly the phone carriers exert at the expense of consumers in the US.

24. scaredpoet, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

FYI: ALL iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4S, 5 and 5S models will work in Vietnam. All of them have the bands that Vietnamese cellular networks function in. The GSM iPhone 4 will also work.

Now, here's the catch: Vietnam does not have LTE. They haven't even decided which frequency bands they're going to use for LTE yet. You're likely not going to see LTE there until 2015, if you're lucky.

This means, if you're planning to buy an iPhone today for use on LTE when it rolls out, it's completely luck of the draw. They could choose any of the configured bands for LTE... or, they could do something silly and go on a non-standard frequency band, where no current phones work.

In any case, there's likely a good chance that by 2015, you'll be ready to buy something different from the iPhone you have today.

In the meantime: frequency bands for GSM and 3G are pretty run-of-the-mill: 900 and 1800MHz for GSM, 2100MHZ for 3G. All GSM-capable iPhones can handle this, from the iPhone 3G all the way to the 5S, except for the CDMA-only iPhone 4.

Apparently though, 3G service in Vietnam isn't all that great.

25. henryonapple thread starter macrumors 6502

are you sure the old sprint models work? like 4 and 4s