Best iPhone Xs accessory to have in a Hotel room

MareLuce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Netflix and Amazon Prime video has made me intolerant of commercials during anything except football games. Commercials seem especially blaring in a hotel room.

My iPhone XS Max + Apple's Lightning Digital AV Adapter" ($49) + HDMI cable worked great on this work trip for playing Netflix and Amazon Prime Video downloads.

On a different trip earlier this year, my iPhone X in same config did not work. Switched to my Thinkpad + in same config which did work.
upload_2018-9-28_14-14-4.png
upload_2018-9-28_14-15-9.png

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter?fnode=85&fs=fh=459d%2B3058

MareLuce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Mine is working great so far on 12.

One thing I've noticed -
Sometimes both TV image and iPhone image are mirror'd.
Sometimes (like in the pic above) the iPhone has only the cover art while the TV plays the movie.
Any idea why?

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota

One thing I've noticed -
Sometimes (like in the pic above) the iPhone has only the cover art while the TV plays the movie.
Any idea why?
That I don't know why. I wonder if those people are having issues are because they are trying send video that Apple won't allow because of agreements they have in place with other vendors. IOW, movies that you download onto your device from iTunes, that you cant send via the adaptor to another tv.

Reactions: Five_Oh

MareLuce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Interesting. I haven't used iTunes at all so far.
Tried & worked: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Vudu, and one work app.

treyhunnid

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2018

One thing I've noticed -
Any idea why?
depends on the app. the app may take over the mirror. or it'll just feed what its capturing from the cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.