Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rewardsguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
New poster here! Just picked up an iPod Shuffle for running and gym use. Figured the Shuffle is inexpensive and I could use it without worrying about damaging it. I wish it had a larger capacity however. Anyone use the Nano (or other model) for running and happy with it?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Best iPod for running would be something flash based and with buttons. I'd suggest a 3rd, 4th, or 5th generation iPod Nano.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Get a Shuffle. Doesn't matter too much if you lose/break it, and has a capacity of 14-15 hours of 320kbps MP3. If you're planning on doing back-to-back ultramarathons you can always down-sample the bit rate when transferring through iTunes.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Almost any nano would be great, especially with a case with a clip, excepting the 6th gen, which incorporated a clip. Shuffles are good, but if you listen to audiobooks or want a visual interface, go nano. If you can afford it, the 7th gen nano has bluetooth, allowing for more options in ear gear. That's my 2 cents.
Edit: I wasn't disqualifying the 6th gen, just acknowledging it already has a clip.

Last edited:

rewardsguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Thanks guys. I used the Shuffle on a short run today and the thing is incredibly small and light - almost too small to press the buttons comfortably. I liked the Nano but am hesitant to pay that much for something I would sweat on and subject to the rain, heat, and humidity. Does the Nano hold up well? Is the touch screen still responsive if it gets a bit sweaty?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thanks guys. I used the Shuffle on a short run today and the thing is incredibly small and light - almost too small to press the buttons comfortably. I liked the Nano but am hesitant to pay that much for something I would sweat on and subject to the rain, heat, and humidity. Does the Nano hold up well? Is the touch screen still responsive if it gets a bit sweaty?

I would recommend a case with a built in screen protector in that case. It is very responsive but don't flood it with sweat. A good armband case would serve you nicely...

LOLZpersonok

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2012
Calgary, Canada
I will suggest you try the 7th generation iPod Nano. You can buy it brand new, it's small, has a good screen and comes in 16GB capacity. I have one, and I can say that for what you're looking for, it is probably a pretty good purchase.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
I have both the 6th and 7th gen Nano and prefer the former for cardio. It's small and clips on, perfect iPod for running IMO. Use mine at least 3x a week and it's been two years now.

racoop

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Shuffle

IMO as a long-time runner, nothing beats the iPod Shuffle. Period.

It's light and you can do everything you need w/o having to stop running or look at it.

Been using a 2nd gen Shuffle since it was new in 2008. Basically it is the same model as the current one. Still going strong after thousands of miles of sweat and hundreds of charges. And if it does take a crap, it's only $50 for a new one.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
iPod nano with Jawbird Bluetooth headphones.

Works great.

And I'm not too worried about getting sweat on it.

rewardsguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Just a quick update: after using the Shuffle for a few days I've decided to keep it instead of getting the Nano. Having physical buttons is a plus (don't have to look at touch screen mid run) and it feels like it's not even there after clipping it on. Since I use my iPhone as my main "iPod" already, I think the Shuffle is a great addition to use on runs.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
I used a Shuffle for years. It worked great. However, about 5 months ago, I got a new Nano and it's been awesome. I love the fact that it could play radio stations. I was getting bored of the music I had on my Shuffle and FM radio gave my runs something new to listen to.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
6th generation nano. Or current gen shuffle.

Amazing how a clip makes a device awesome for sport.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I have a current gen Nano, for the capacity, and the Nike+. Finding a case is hard because the arm strap cases usually allow sweat to leak in. I use a Nathans waste belt that fits the Nano perfectly, and ID and key. Keeps the Nano drier than the Belkin arm band.

I was surprised at not seeing that many good cases for the Nano, especially considering its size and features. Once I get it going, I don't need the screen, just hit the button occasionally. You can control the music with any pair if headphones with the corded remote. I use the Bose ones, as the Polks I had shorted out due to sweat in the control.

The Nathan belt I use is probably close to this one as it seems that the model I have was discontinued. Amazon has the one I have...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.