"best iPod we've ever made" - soon to be a lie - find out why...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ibookowner2005, Jun 30, 2007.

1. ibookowner2005 macrumors newbie

Heres my take on the next generation iPod...

First apple have to be careful not to include features TOO similar to the iphone. Therefore, in my opinion say goodbye to email, bluetooth, safari, widgets etc.

This is because it would jeopardize iphone sales and people would op for a much cheaper product i.e. the ipod over the iphone.

I don't understand when people are saying the next generation iPod will have WIFI, bluetooth etc when that product has already been released... its called an iPhone! (i cant stress this enough :) )

What it will be is...

1) similar form factor with touch capabilities
    2) the usual - music, video, photo etc (presented like an iphone or slightly different)
    3) much improved contact, calendar, notes (presented like an iphone or slightly different)

ALREADY this is a HUGE update from the previous iPod (going from non touch to full touch interface and all the ipod features from the iphone etc...)

However, i still think the next generation ipod will have something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the iphone's features just to set it apart... why you ask... heres why...

the next ipod will always be in the shadow of the iphone... so it has to have something that iphone users will say "oh i wish my iphone had that" and just for people looking to buy a new ipod.

Also steve said "best ipod we've ever made", well how can steve let the iphone STILL be the "best ipod" when the next generation "actual" ipod is released?

When will it be released? The iphone is still going to be the shinning star for some months to come, so i expect apple to keep quiet about the next generation ipod until about october/november - just in time for christmas!

Finally...

reading forum posts, people seem to have the idea that the next generation ipod will be practically an iphone without the phone :) this is not the case. I will leave you with a final comment...

"The iPod is and will always be a MUSIC PLAYER, its not trying to be an iphone because then apple would be selling identical products under different names :rolleyes: i expect the next update to be ground breaking, so lets just sit tight, let the iphone have its spot light, and them prepare for the best ipod ever!"

What are your thoughts on what i've said? :D

2. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

I think that your thread title is stupid. At the time that he said it it was true, of course statements made at one time may cease to be true as they are superseded but you make it sound as if Steve was deliberately mis-leading people.

Still welcome to the boads.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

iPhone Is NOT The Best iPod Apple's Ever Made AT ALL

Not even close.

There's no feaking Video Out on an iPhone. Duh! :eek:

4. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I think there are some flaws in your logic. I hope Apple knows better than to shaft the people who want the functionality of the iPhone without the phone. I'm sure they realize there's a large audience out there who would be willing to pay good money for all the functionality of an iPhone, but without a monthly phone plan and with more storage space. As far as the iPod being 'much cheaper', it's only much cheaper now. I'm guessing that Apple will provide several pricing options, and high-end of which will be comparably priced (but a little less) than the iPhone. If it's going to be that feature-rich, there will probably be a price increase.

Umm..not really? An iPhone isn't an iPod, it's a phone that has iPod capabilities. Remember this isn't the first iTunes-compatible phone that's come out. Again, plenty of people want what the iPhone can do, just without the phone capabilities and a monthly phone plan. Some people already have phones and/or are in contracts and won't want to change, and some people already have phones through work and won't be able to get an iPhone. Do you think Apple is just going to sit around idly and not make something for this audience? Go look at some of the MacPolls -- there are a lot of people who have no plans of buying an iPhone.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

And you're limited to 8gb! And when your phones battery is dead so is your iPods :eek:

Anyroad. I've been saying this all along. I doubt the next iPod isn't going to be a cut down iPhone. Part of me thinks it'll be a touch/fullscreen (although didn't they drop the 3G interface because people wanted tactile feedback to operate the machine through clothing?). It's really hard to guess at the moment.

I think a phone-less iPhone will make its way out eventually. A 7G iPod if you will.

6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

And it will have an anti-theft device built in: when the iPod detects a touch by a non-owner's body part it delivers a shock that stuns the "toucher". In :apple: style, the antitheft device will have several convenient presets such as (i) for pesky friends (light jolt), (ii) family members (not sure on this one - would depend on my mood, I suppose), (iii) most others (stun) and (iv) Bin Laden and FBI's 10 most wanted (kill).

Now, the only thing I know for sure is that I am certainly not buying a revision A. ;)

7. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

One thing the need to do on any 6g is open up the encoding restrictions. I own 2 Apple TV's and I cannot encode for the device and have it playable on my 5.5g. I usually end up encoding twice, once for the ATV and then for the Ipod. I' d love for to be able to use those files in both players

8. SirCrumpet macrumors regular

SirCrumpet

Sad thing is it will be a loooong time before we get any of the iphone love in australia since the only carrier with the ability to carry it thinks apple should "stick to their knitting" :(

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Realize the iPhone is merely a testbed for the Multi-Touch interface.

Most likely every device that can benefit from this type of interface (remote controls, music players, cellphones, appliances) will eventually have it.

Not to say Apple is gonna start making microwaves, but this is going to possibly prove the next step in interface design.

Id like my TV/DVD/Stereo remote to be ONE remote without a jumble of 100 buttons. Just one slick interface that changes with context.

A multitouch iPod is a no brainer, to speculate how many of the iPhones capabilities will make it to the touchscreen iPod, is a stupid idea.

Apples n Oranjes. One makes calls, the other plays media.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I really doubt Apple will use multitouch if they remove all the online stuff. That's what it's there for, what it works best for; if they make the 6th gen iPod multitouch but only use it for presenting menus in a different way, well, it seems kind of a waste.

I'm not insisting the next iPod will have WiFi; I think if it has multitouch it'll have a browser, if it doesn't have a browser it won't have a touch screen.

But hey, I could be wrong.

11. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Multitouch seems integral to the form factor - how can you have a screen the full size of the device, and still add a click-wheel (where's it go)? Reading about just the iPod touch options (cover flow, fullscreen-to-widescreen, stop-pause-play, etc.), sounds like there's enough there to justify Multitouch.

The testbed idea is exactly right.

I've said this before - I wonder if the "next-gen iMacs" and/or Leopard will include some version of Multitouch? Or barring that, how long it will take to be intro'd (at least as an OS X option)? Even prior to the iPhone, some pundits were complaining that the last big UI advance came with the original Mac in 1984, and we were long overdue to move past the mouse-and-keyboard paradigm. This could be it, depending on how well the mobile testbed works!

Also:

-iMacs have the advantage of built-in screens, and big ones, too. This gives Apple the all-in-one design it can control to make this work.

-Leopard - delayed "because of the iPhone." Maybe not for the reasons people thought?

Who knows; but the fact that it's Apple leading this technology, with up to 500,000 ready testbeds now deployed, suggests there's something there.

12. tacoma-kyle macrumors newbie

I agree with jim.

Additionally there is really nothing but speculation.

Who really cares anyway? Its all unknown...

13. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The only question is whether Apple intends to position the iPod as a video player; it's still a music player that also plays movies. Multitouch may make it more difficult to change songs from your pocket or belt as you can't feel the controls or see the screen. Which makes it weaker as a music player, but far better as a video player as you can see more.

However, I've made the same iMac theory as you. It makes a LOT of sense actually. Perhaps the iMac updates are being delayed for Leopard? Remember the resolution-independent interface? This would make a lot of sense for multitouch, so that you can have HD-resolution screens but still have buttons big enough to touch with your fat fingers.

14. poke4christ macrumors member

Well, you have a few problems apple has to get over. Let's assume that they produce a fairly feature rich iPod (similar to the iPhone). How much do they price it at? They've got to price it higher than the current iPods (249) to get close to the iPhone, but they don't want to alienate their customer base either (kinda like sony has with PS3). So, I'm thinking that if they release a "iPhone without the phone" type iPod, we'll probably see some reduction in the price of the iPhone. Considering that I was thinking this was going to become necessary anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened.

My guess, Late September we see a dual move by Apple. New iPods at their current price point or slightly higher combined with a price reduction of the iPhone to 300-400 or 350-450. As for the features of the new iPods, I'm guessing no wi-fi or internet just yet. However, they will have advance UIs and will be more of a PDA that is running OS X.

15. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

We've got "top-men" working on that right now...

Good catch on that problem.

My solution would be a setting for "pocket-mode" where different gestures or combinations of like holding a button on the side and using 2 fingers or 1 etc, to FF/REW/PLAY/STOP volume.

That would cover the, i aint looking to change songs, problem.

16. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

true... but i dont think you own an iphone.. video out on an ipod is so crappy its not worth it

17. Private Sector macrumors member

i posted this in another thread, but i was thinking it would be really smart if the new ipods had full hdmi out, possibly through a camera-connector-like device that would plug into the universal dock adapter and change the female input there to HDMI. this could be unveiled in conjunction with HD content through itunes.

it wouldn't neccesarily isolate the apple tv either, because that still has the capacity going for it, as well as the front row interface and the ability to sync to multiple computers at one time/view content from the internet (youtube).

18. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

This is a very good point. Having seen the iPhone though (even if it is a jack-of-all-trades and not a true music player), it seems Apple has made its stab at that problem. Maybe the phone is also a testbed to see if similar iPods would work & thus sell as the 6G model.

Also - Apple has briefly diverged the product lines in the past, between "iPod Photo" and just plain "iPod" (nevermind the shuffle, nano, etc.). Who's to say they wouldn't add a video player that also does music, as opposed to the reverse?

Pocket-mode is a good idea but seems too complicated for Apple. And "i aint looking to change songs" apparently isn't a problem - the skin-conductivity of Multitouch means the thing won't change just by bumping your wallet, change, etc.

Unless they diverge the iPods into music- and video-based lines, I don't know why they have to "price it higher to get close to the iPhone." If anything, Apple likes products (Mini and iMac) with a lot of daylight between their prices, to avoid crowding market niches. There are probably a lot of people (like me) who think, "cool product but I don't want/need a $699 phone." There's also probably lots of overlap between these people and those in the market for a new iPod in time for the holidays. The current price point works well for those purposes. And unlike Sony, Apple has no reason to drop iPhone prices (and piss off early adopters) so long as the things are flying off shelves.

As for 6G iPod features - I still don't understand why people think it'll be "iPhone without the phone." Again, Apple is all about market segmentation. The iPod is a top-class music player, as GFLPraxis rightly points out. It would be enough of a stretch to make it more of a video player. But adding in PDA features, advanced UIs, and the like would 1. poach on iPhone sales and 2. wholly pollute the purity-of-essence ("POE, OPE...") of the iPod as a strictly entertainment device. :apple: would never do that.

19. JordanD macrumors newbie

purely speculative

If I had to guess, I'd say the 6th gen ipod will be introduced mid september as the back to school promo raps up. It will have a very similar form factor and interface to the iphone. Obviously, the phone features will be omitted (phone, visual voicemail, SMS text, EDGE, maybe camera since it's not necessary...) however, there's no reason for WiFi not to be included, allowing for safari, mail, an IM client (if it's added to iphone), and widgets. It will be hard drive based to maintain the higher capacities, and the battery life isn't an issue with the current ipods, so it shouldn't be with the next gen either. To differentiate it from the iphone, it won't come with a lot of the goodies that the iphone comes with, including the dock and power brick (much like the current ipod!). This will help Apple maintain the current price points (to an extent).

Apple has a tendency to outperform expectations, as the iPhone clearly demonstrated (recall, before its launch, no one was even close to imagining how amazing it would be), and so the next ipod should clearly at least match up to what we can (very easily) imagine.

Or maybe I'm just praying for an iphone-like device I can afford and use without terminating my Verizon contract!

20. poke4christ macrumors member

So what is the next iPod supposed to do that's better than the current gen? They've allready said that the next gen will run OS X. If they are doing that then it would be absolutly moronic to not be taking advantage of the power of it (in a way similar to the iPhone). From what you are saying, running OS X would be a huge waste of power and money. They wouldn't be utilizing it.

As for the cost. Think of it this way. The next iPod will be running OS X. How the heck are they going to justify it being 249 and iPhones costing as much as 599? They have to bridge the gap somehow. Also, for the iPods to run OS X they'll need some beefier hardware. The iPhone runs a 620 MHz chip. That's going to add some cost. You're telling me you don't see a possible price hike? However, I wouldn't doubt them making an iPod video and a new iPod. Basicly, creating a new product line. That might be how they get the price bumped.

21. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

iPod is a media player, including things such as email and the like would defeat the purpose of the iPod.

22. Archmagination macrumors regular

I don't think taking out the Click Wheel will be much of a problem. I usually find myself looking at the screen when operating my Ipod... the only time I don't is when I am pausing my music. So instead of having the Home button like the Iphone it would have a play/pause button instead.

I expect the new Ipod will have:
    Multi-touch Screen
    Landscape for Wide Screen viewing
    100GB/60GB HD
    Same programs as the other Ipods(Better integration with MultiT. Keyboard)
    Wifi or Bluetooth(I don't think it will have both.. one or the other)
    Price: $300 for the 60GB. $400 for the 100GB.

23. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Why does everyone think WiFi on an iPod would be useless or stupid?
    Is it because the Zune has it?

If it was integrated into the next iPod with the ability to download songs on the go, I would snatch that up.

24. BayAreaMacFan macrumors member

I don't know about anyone else who has used the iPod on the iPhone extensively yet, but I have found the headphones with the click to play/pause and double click to skip is incredibly useful. If they include those headphones without the microphone, then I don't think not being able to change songs in your pocket is a problem.

25. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Totally...plus the ability to stream to an Airport Express would be fantastic.