Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I currently own a 1.6ghz Power Mac which I use mostly for music recording in Logic and internet and such. I recently got some money and I would like to use part of it to buy a laptop for writing. The idea is that I don't want to spend much money on it: my main considerations would be a slightly used IBM, a used tibook or maybe albook, a new (bottom) ibook and possibly one of the new widescreen 12" dells. I really don't want to go with the Dell for the time being so I have a few questions about the other three.
Is the powerbooks keyboard better than an IBM. Which book had the better keyboard, the tibook, or the albook (disregarding the lightup keys).
Will the new iBook perform significantly better than an old powerbook. If it was fast enough I might want to use the iBook to run Logic 7.0 Express for doing gigs and want to know if it could handle running multiple plugins at the same time.
Other than these things, is there any feature of any one of the laptops that destinguish it, for instance the screen and durability.
Thanks for any help.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
I would go with the new bottom of the line ibook, it will give you same or greater speeds then a Tibook running at around 1GHZ. You will get a newer computer with a warranty. I think you would be happier with a new ibook than a 1-3 year old Ti book, that usually has a relatively small HD size (the ibook does a pretty small one though)

thats my 0.2$

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
wnameth said:
I would go with the new bottom of the line ibook...

Yeah, count me in for the bottom-of-the-range iBook. It's the greatest for battery life, powerful enough for most needs, and it looks way prettier than the PowerBook range IMO. :D

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
I have a ThinkPad (from the hospital) and I like it a lot. Its thin and portable and works well, but I must say I like my powerbook more. I have used the newer dell laptops and I for some reason cannot type on them. I think the keys are undersized or something, I'm much more prone to making mispellings on them. I do not like the iBook keyboards because I find them spingy and bendy. I really like my firm PowerBooks (12", same keyboard as in 15" and 17" Alus) because its nice and firm. Put it on a cool pad tha has an angle to it and get very good ergonamics.

How much are you looking to spend. Look at apples refurb department online or if your intrested in PCs look at IBMs ceritfied used/refurbished department.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
I know it's not exactly what you want to hear, but the clamshell iBook had the most comfortable palmrests ever. So nice to type on...

tykles

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2004
Colorado
I have a rev D 15" powerbook, and I have to say I've never enjoyed typing on any keyboard as much. It's kind of a muted 'thunk', somehow very satisfying. With that said, it ends up being slightly uncomfortable because my wrist ends up sitting right across the edge. I'm thinking about getting some kind of wrist support that i can wedge up against it. If I were actually a writer or something I would probably get a 17" just so my wrists sat on top. I don't know if a 12" is out of your price range, maybe test drive one at your local apple shop...

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
For typing, a PowerBook is the way to go. iBook keys feel slightly too 'plasticy' and cheap-ish. PowerBooks are nicer than the Apple Keyboards that they ship with the new Macs these days :D (IMO of course, but I like my opinion)

The Dell laptops feel like the keys are coming off the keyboard. That is, if the laptop actually works first time around. OK, so I'm biased, but the keyboards on them are horrible. I did some work on one... eewww.

PowerBooks have an optical audio out port I think it is.. maybe it is an in port... anyway, PowerBooks have an optical audio port for audio and iBooks don't. Something to consider vs. the iBook.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
If you are looking to stick to a budget but get good performance go with the iBook all the way. The keyboard is not "that" bad but it is not great either. I have a powerbook and I love the keyboard on it. I have never used a TiBook so I cannot give my opinion on that one. This thread will eventually spawn into an iBook keyboard vs. Powerbook keyboard debate tho... you can almost be certian of it ;)

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Whatever you do don't buy a Rev. B (last gen) 15" Powerbook. Many plagued with keyboard issues. Other than that Powerbook's have the most comfortable keys ever... I love how they curve in. :)

zpmqxonw

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2005
About the Dell keyboards, NEVER BUY A DELL LAPTOP!!! I've had the keyboard on mine replaced three times, but it still decides not to type random letters. This is a huge pain because then I have to read through all my papers and find which letter I typed, that the computer decided to ignore. This is why I switched, but the long wait for my iBook hasn't really convinced me that Apple's that much better about customer service.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I think Al PB has better keyboard than Ti PB. I used them both. But, for the ultimate typing experience, I use Apple Keyboards (both wired and bluetooth ones). Ti PB's keyboard flips open to show the inside (which comes in handy when you install additional Ram) and that may be the reason I feel its keyboard is flimsy side compared to Al PB.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
If i were you, i would get a new 12 inch pb. I own a 12 inch ibook and i honestly think the key board sucks. Its rediculous actually. The space bar is crooked and has been since ive owned it. In fact all ibook space bars are crooked. Also the whole key board sits awkward. It rolls and bends and never seems to be quite flush. The pb has a much better key board and since you asked which laptop would be best for typing then i certainly recomend an alum pb.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
dferrara said:
Whatever you do don't buy a Rev. B (last gen) 15" Powerbook. Many plagued with keyboard issues. Other than that Powerbook's have the most comfortable keys ever... I love how they curve in. :)

Actually, that would be TWO revisions ago... we are on Rev. D PowerBooks now.

My 12" PowerBook has the best keyboard ever. Still waiting for something to top it. (Rev. C)

anotherjeff

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2004
Honolulu
I love the keyboard on my 12" PB rev. C. Nice full size, easy to type with, very satisfying, and I'm on it for most of the day. (I have big hands too).

My dad has a 12" vaio and it's a pain to type on, the keys feel too small.

iRez

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2004
I'd get a Rev C or Rev B 12" PB if money is a concern. The Alu powerbooks have the best keyboards that Apple has ever included with a machine.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
Thanks for all the replies guys!

Well, sounds like Dell is totally out of the question. I'm looking to spend under 1500 CAN on this laptop, seeing as it is going to be almost strictly for typing. As far as refurbished options go, the Canadian applestore (online) still doesn't offer refurbished. However, I get a nice 11.5% discount on computers through the education discount (too bad I also have to pay 15% taxes, feh). There is going to be an Apple Store coming to Toronto, where I live, sometime this year and I hope that when it comes it will offer reburbished products, so that may still be an option.
My number one choice at this point would be to go for a Rev. C 12" powerbook, probably over eBay. I'm really not that worried about this as I've gotten lots of computer equipment over eBay and never been dissapointed.
My final questions are, simply, does the Rev. C have a better keyboard than a thinkpad (if any of you use both), and is there any expectation that the next, long over-due, iBook update will have an improved keyboard? I can still on buying this laptop because I always prefer first hand, but otherwise I'll probably just go ahead and get the powerbook.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I have a 12" 1.2GHz iBook that I love for writing.

I write about six to eight 2,000 word articles a month, and love the small size and long battery life of the little iBook.

I take it out on the couch in the living room with me to get out of the office, love the AirPort Express so I can do research on the Web while unhooked.

PERFECT for travel - I do a lot of traveling, and love not having to lug around big heavy notebooks. Fits perfectly on the tray tables on a plane, nice for lap size in the airport, and NOT heavy!

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
When i made my recomendation previously in this thread i was specifically refering to the pb vs. ibook keyboard quality. That being said; hey all you 12 inch pb owners! I have a question for you guys since im thinking about jumping from my 12 inch ibook to the 12 inch pb. Does the 12 inch pb palm rests get uncomfortably hot or warm when typing on it for lets say 2 hours or so, then resting then typing again for another hour? Your answers are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Jsmit

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2004
Boston
CaptainCaveMann said:
When i made my recomendation previously in this thread i was specifically refering to the pb vs. ibook keyboard quality. That being said; hey all you 12 inch pb owners! I have a question for you guys since im thinking about jumping from my 12 inch ibook to the 12 inch pb. Does the 12 inch pb palm rests get uncomfortably hot or warm when typing on it for lets say 2 hours or so, then resting then typing again for another hour? Your answers are greatly appreciated! Thanks

It has never bothered me, actually it is quite nice on a cold night . ;)

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Jsmit said:
It has never bothered me, actually it is quite nice on a cold night . ;)
I live in southern California. Im sure our nights arent nearly as cold as yours. Would it bother you on a warm night? Would the computer be warm enough to make your palms sweat?

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
CaptainCaveMann said:
Care to dive into that a little further?
It uh, gets warm ;)

Warm enough to cause a little perspiration in warm surroundings. Especially the left side, over the hard disk - battery usually stays below 40c.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.