best laptop stand for me and my 15.4" feb release MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DAAAAAAAVE, Mar 31, 2009.

1. DAAAAAAAVE macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

I use this laptop quite alot on my lap and have been getting annoyed with the heat and have decided to get a stand. There is a desk right next to where i use it on my lap so i wouldnt mind a desk only one as long as it allows comfortable use of keyboard and trackpad (dont want externals). Haven't decided between fan based or heat-sync aluminum panel type of thing based. Just wanted to here anyone stories on why the love/hate what they have bought etc.

Ones that have stood out so far:
    http://www.streetwise.com.au/produc...=4722&osCsid=9aa302fa210373e62ae76eb12855c9d2
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/notebook_products/stands/devices/4841&cl=au,en#
    http://www.streetwise.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=53_229&products_id=5996

2. macgrl macrumors 65816

I second the mstand. I have used one for a while now and it is great. It looks cool too.:)

3. iBecks macrumors 6502

mStand, nice but expensive.

I have a Griffin Elevator and am very happy with it. It cost a third of the price of mStand.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/elevator

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

5. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

6. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

So did any of you even bother reading the guys post?

---

Anyways, I should mention that I recently ordered an iLap but I still haven't received it yet. I* could provide some feedback if you'd like. Also, NT1440 is right, that Logitech lap stand looks pretty nice.

7. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

lol thanks terriyaki for actually reading. Yeah i would be keen to hear how you find your iLap when it arrives. The logitech one looks heaps comfy but i doubt it would do as good a job with heat as the iLap

8. Moocher macrumors regular

9. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

11. island macrumors 6502

island

That's what I use and it's great!

12. eron macrumors 6502

The mStand is good if you are going to use an external keyboard. Else, it's at an angle that you wouldn't want to work long hours on.

13. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

I use the iLevel by Rain design.

http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilevel.html

A bit pricy, but it is solidly built out of metal. Plus it swivels, and has a height adjustment bar. By far, blows away any other laptop stand out there.

Only possible drawback is that its not very portable or collapsible.

14. DAAAAAAAVE thread starter macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

How is it heat wise? Just looking at photos it doesnt look like it does to much.

And just to clarify again to others, although you are putting forward some great stands I DON'T WANT TO USE AND EXTERNAL KEYBOARD OR MOUSE

15. RKpro macrumors 6502

Why not just tape a kitchen cutting board to a pillow? and save yourself $100, because that's essentially the Logitech Lapdesk. LoL

16. iRez macrumors member

I found something identical to what logitech is selling (but def not as nice) at target for about 8 bucks on clearance. It's basically a bean bag pillow attached to a writing/desk like surface used for anything from eating in bed to writing to reading to computing to whatever.

http://theclosetentrepreneur.com/the-diy-cheapskate-laptop-stand/1
    This is the sorta stuff I like to see (not that I like the design of the cardboard example but it definitely gets you to start thinking outside the 3rd party box).

The thing with a stand is not too many people get creative with these things to save themselves 40-100 bucks (the cost of looking cool in "post your setup" threads across the web). I used to use an old iCurve but recently I've been using 6 rubber erasers (2 in front 4 in back) and it's been my favorite setup as it's virtually hidden, I get to use my MBP keyboard (old silver one which I LOVE) that sits very stable a top the erasers, it's also highly customizable because both height and angle could be set to your desire, and the air flow underneath is just about perfect for less than 2 bucks.

Now with all that said...if you got a few bucks to throw around I'd definitely go with the iLap if you want something that you could type on and use on a desk or lap.

17. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

Wow, I don't remember the mStands being that expensive. Unless I truly have forgotten or switched it with something else in my memory, I recall paying only 29.99 for one back about 7-8 months ago
    edit: correction, it may have been 39.99, but still

18. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

mStand is great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For $49, the Rain Design mStand is situated as one of the most expensive products in its category. However, I feel that this price is justified. While most competing products are significantly cheaper, none approach the aesthetic appeal and durability offered by Rain Design's precise, well-engineered architecture. For MacBook and MacBook Pro owners in particular, when you factor in the enhanced heat dissipation and free access to the front of your machine that is offered by this design, I can see very little reason why the mStand should not be considered as essential as a notebook case.

19. jb56 macrumors member

I have the iLap. Works great for the desk and sitting on your lap using your laptop. The velvet cushion is really comfortable and you feel very little ambient heat from the laptop.

For actual laptop use you can't beat it in my opinion.

20. steffi macrumors 6502a

Also consider XStand but I'm not sure if that marks the machine at all but looks nice.

I use elevator at home.

21. phooi macrumors regular

+1 on the iLap. I'm using it right now. It's expensive but I like the aluminum finish, the cushioning works and it keeps you cool.

My only complaint is that I'm short so it doesn't work as well for me when i'm in a seated position (my lap isn't long enough). I have to be lounging which is fine since I usually work that way.