Best large cap (~ 1 Tb) HDD for Optibay on MBP 15 late 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbykasthuri, Jan 13, 2012.

1. bobbykasthuri macrumors newbie

Hello
    What's the best (fastest or most reliable or hopefully both) large capacity HD to put into the optibay port? And am I right in assuming that since my understanding is that the port is SATA II (3gb/s) it is not useful to get a faster spinning drive than 5400 RPM?

thanks

2. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Also note the HDD must be 9.5mm instead of the typical 12mm

I've been looking myself, I can't justify spending $200+ for a 1TB drive.
    Let me know where you order from!!

3. RedRallyeZ macrumors regular

To the OP, you didn't specify, but I'm assuming that you need it sooner rather than later.

Eventually, at least hopefully, HDD prices will start to fall back down to earth. Last october i picked up a Samsung 1TB drive for about $100 shipped. And that same drive was down to about $80 shipped before the flooding happened. So if it is possible at all to wait, that might be a good option as we may see Hard drive prices make their way back down soon. Although that is just speculation. The prices may stay nice and lofty as long as people buy them.

4. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

6. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

A 1TB Samsung M8 is only $110 shipped from newegg. Not as good as a couple months ago, but way less than $200.

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice Dhelsdon is in Canada. I don't know what Canadian pricing would be.