Best LCD Monitor for Photgraphy & Video - (Less then Apple)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by uMac, Jun 21, 2007.

1. uMac macrumors 6502

I'm looking into getting a new LCD for my Mac Pro (Moving from CRT & PC so I'm not too familiar with what Specs Matter and by what account is useful). I have DVI & Dual-Linked DVI ports.

Should I get an LCD (20-24") screen or LCD TV (30-32").
    Must be optimal for Photography (Screens I know yes, TV?) and good for Video. Brands stick out as buy/avoid?

Suggestions/Recommendations?

Thanks,

uMac

2. oscuh macrumors 6502

LaCie's are really nice ... pricey, but nice ....

if I had the cake THIS is what I would buy ....

Or just get a Cinema Display :D

3. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

Something a little less expensive then the Cinema Displays.

4. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

1. Eizo
    2. Lacie
    3. Apple

After that,whaterver. Maybe Dells,they use the same panels as apple,but different backlight.

Obviously,those first 2 displays cost in 20-24" range more than apples 30".
    ACDs on the other hand,are very well worth their money too. Very,very good displays.
    Other displays: if you work with photo,you wont consider them. Video,maybe.

But on the video side, if you work on that side,you about have to have a 15-17" CRT reference monitor, say sony. And they will cost you an arm and a leg. Or coulple.

And forget the LcdTV.

If I were you, i would go the 23"/30" ACD route. But I would go to store,take it out of box and make sure they show you that you that the display is ok. Seen suprisingly many ACDs with floods/color errors. And knowing the apples return policy, you are fuked if you get one...
    Good monitors if..emm..they are good.

5. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

I still have 2 CRT screens (best of the two will likely stay - 17") but the LCD are easier to see and take up less desk space.

6. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

You allready have 2 reference monitors??!

I mean reference monitors, not just some CRT tubes. The 14" refs go for about 700bucks+ and the larger ones...well different price class alltogether.
    And the LCD refs,say sonys 23" goes around 25.000 bucks, so they might be easier to see but a bit pricey...
    :D

7. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

I would recommend not getting an LCD TV, they aren't nearly as accurate as a nice LCD monitor. Plus, the resolution is terrible. You would have to get a 1080P and then if you go too big your pixel pitch will be super high (big pixels).

You need a crisp display with high resolution that produces colors accurately. PVA/MVA panels are nice, Eizo uses though actually for the the high contrast ratio. S-IPS/H-IPS etc are the highly regarded for their color reproduction and viewing angles.

The Dell 24" is a PVA panel and has a myriad of issues. One could be fooled since Eizo uses PVA, but the difference is in the processing and electronics which are much higher quality in the Eizo. The Dell is ok though, it can be had for under $550 if you wait for coupons and what not. The current 2407 is ok, you will have deal with a terrible backlight and the other inputs are mostly garbage.

20" panels are mostly nice. Dell 2007WFP is good, I had one, just sold it to go larger. The NEC 20" ones are good as well, more expensive as well. 24" seems to be the sweet spot for price right now though. Also check out the LG 245 and 246 as well as the Samsung or NEC (NEC is pricey). 23" panels are dying, but I believe they were all S-IPS. The ACD 23" is S-IPS.

22" displays are all TN panels. They are quick but do not have color accuracy or good viewing angles. I would stay away, but they are cheap.

It really depends on if you make money. If you make money on this stuff, go all out. It will pay off. However, color is really only key when you are printing or in a color controlled environment. You can calibrate a Dell to be fantastic, it will print pretty accurately, it won't have a high color gamut as it is only 72% of the NTSC color gamut (The new 2407WFP-HC has 92% and better backlighting, unavailable right now in the US). But it will be decent. If you are printing for profit or for clients... I would go a little higher end.

I hope that helps a bit. I am currently looking into displays and I always try to keep up with what is going on, so if you have specific questions I am more than happy to help.

Also, as far as the ACD goes, if you would like more inputs the Apple is not for you. They are lovely, I owned the 23", but then I got a 360 and it was a no go without some expensive equipment.

8. uMac thread starter macrumors 6502

No 2 CRT Tubes (Regular Monitors, but where nice)
    Not Reference Monitors (Again, a bit too pricey for me)

suneohair - Thanks for the Info -->Sounds like I should be looking at S-IPS/H-IPS monitors.

Thanks