Best LTE coverage in NYC?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tronic, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

Currently using a 4S on AT&T in NYC and I've been less than impressed with the 4G coverage. Should I consider jumping ship to one of the other big 4 or is the AT&T LTE coverage much better? Any studies I should be aware of?

2. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

Both AT&T and Vernon cover NYC. Why not just upgrade to the iPhone 5 or 5S?

3. barkomatic, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

barkomatic macrumors 68040

Your only other choice is Verizon--though I believe they are about equal with AT&T in NYC.

T-mobile and Sprint are less consistent with lower average speeds at this point.

All the carriers are pouring money into their LTE networks right now--so I'd also suggest you get an LTE device.

4. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

AT&T and VZW have the city blanketed in LTE.

TMobile says they do, but it's spotty as usual. Sprint hasn't launched the entire city yet.

5. Tronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Tronic

I'm asking knowing that I'll be ordering a 5S next week and was trying to figure out if I should stick with AT&T or switch and I guess the consensus is stick with AT&T.

----------

How is the lte service on the subway? 4G is unusable for me, which isn't that big of a deal but would be nice to have. Any idea about westchester? I have to take the MNR Hudson line for work a lot and spotty coverage there.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Seeing as how Verizon is headquartered in NYC. I would expect they would have taken extra care to blanket it. But no first hand experience.

7. mlsusa macrumors regular

I use AT&T and my experience with their LTE in NYC has been pretty good. In most places I get around 20 down/5+ up. I've gotten close to but haven't broken 30. Around the Times Square area where I work, which has been notoriously bad for AT&T and my experiences with 3g were craptacular, I've been getting 6-7 download speeds consistently so I've been pretty happy there relatively speaking.

I've been surprised to get calls and texts in the subway stations around work so I guess that's good enough as well.

8. Jades macrumors 6502

Stay away from Verizon lte in NYC!!!! Unless you care more about voice than data
    I switched out of Verizon because my data would never work. Not just mind but anyone with Verizon lte. Way too spotty and tons of capacity issues. Not one complaint about AT&T LTE

Their 4G is slower but very rare you'll fall over to 4G. Unlike Verizon where you go indoors and LTE is one bar and unusable.

9. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Cover all bases and get 2 iPhone 5Ss. One on AT&T and one on Verizon. You'll be sure to have signal on one of them most of the time.

10. keitarou macrumors 6502

I have used Verizon, Sprint and now T-Mobile and I can say that Verizon works the best in all boro's but Manhattan. T-Mobile has LTE in all places in NYC and is not spotty. Sprint is spotty because they haven't finished upgrading.

My gf who uses AT&T has great LTE service but in Manhattan, there is issues of it being slow due to capacity. Depends on where you will use it the most, it's either Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile.

As AutoUnion39 says all the time, T-Mobile is all 2G/Edge outside of big cities. It's not all edge/2G but you will notice it more on T-Mobile while traveling compared to AT&T/Verizon.

11. E2EK1EL, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

I was just in NYC over the long weekend, as stated above T-Mobile was a bit spotty in Manhattan and the only time I got "real" LTE speeds was in Time Square, I didn't do a speed test b/c it would just kill my daily data limit of 200 MB.

Real = 60+ Mbps (Like home on Rogers)

1) Wall Street

2) Brooklyn

3) Chinatown Manhattan

4) Grand Central

5) Rogers - Toronto Canada

Attached Files: