Best Mac for Photoshop on OS X and Windows for Visual Studio via Parallels

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mike Reed, Oct 29, 2011.

1. Mike Reed macrumors regular

I currently have an early 2011 13" Macbook Pro with i5 2.3 Ghz dual core processor and 4 gigs of ram. I'm looking to upgrade as my usage demands are starting to outpace the machine.

I'd like to be able to simultaneously run CS 5.5 applications in OS X and Visual Studio 2010 in parallels simultaneously as smoothly as possible. I had considered an iMac as portability, while nice, isn't absolutely a requirement. A downside there though is I already have a 27 inch Apple display and I'm not set up with enough space to realistically have them side by side.

I don't work with RAW files, or do photo editing - my main use case for CS 5.5 will be for UI and web design and development.

I was considering the Mac Mini, but there isn't the option for both a quad core processor to help with the virtualization and a discreet graphics card to help with CS 5.5. Right now it's between the Macbook Pro 17" or the iMac 27". Would the Macbook Pro have sufficient power and RAM (if maxed out) to support my use cases?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

2. toxic macrumors 68000

a discrete card doesn't do squat for PS.

I think your main concern should be memory. 8GB SO-DIMMS are out, so I think a Mini with 12+ is the way to go.