Best Macbook Pro case?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gqi, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Gqi macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I have a 2014 Macbook Pro 13" Retina and I will be attending school in September. I'm going to be taking my laptop everyday and I want to make sure my laptop looks as good as possible at the end of the program.

I've been looking into screen protectors and keyboard covers and cases. I want a case that won't scratch the aluminum body, but I want a case that looks good as well. I'm not sure about skins, since removals seem like a pain in the ass and wet skins; like the invisible shield is something I want to avoid all together because of the wet application.

I've read some reviews on Spec, Incase and others and all seem to have some form of scratching. Tech21 is newer so not much feedback is available.

What are some cases you guys have used and recommend?

2. marzfreerider macrumors member

I just got the Tech21 impact snap case on Apr. 24/15. Was pricey at $110 in Canada, but so far it seems worth it. Fits great and the texture is nice. Was very easy to install and remove if you need to. Doesn't add much weight or bulk to the mbpr, still fits in my Incase backpack. I did a lot of research before buying, and this one seemed to be better than the others (Speck and Moshi). Good luck with whatever you choose.

3. TLmac macrumors member

My niece has an Ibenzer case for her rMBP that she got from Amazon that she likes.

(I just ordered the same one but I can't give a review on it as I don't have the computer or the case yet. They are coming early this week).

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

5. Jack426, Apr 26, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

+1 I got the Cityslicker case last week for my new MacBook Pro 15", and I absolutely LOVE it. The bags are a little pricey, but I agree that they are of the upmost quality. Plus, they're handmade in San Francisco, which is awesome.

P.S. I recommend the Nubock Leather... :)

6. Mjcarlin907 macrumors newbie

7. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

nanogirl21

There are several threads on this already, but below are my case and carry items.

SeeThru MacBook Pro with Retina Display 13" Case -- Hot Pink Lips

Vera Bradley Laptop Sleeve -- Mocha Rouge

Vera Bradley Metropolitan -- Mocha Rouge

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      305.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      780.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      556.8 KB
      Views:
  8. newellj macrumors 603

I have been using one of these from SFBags for a couple of years - highly recommended.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

In terms of sleeves I got the following Incase ICON sleeve with Tensaerlite with my MacBook Pro last week. It provides great protection whilst being slim and form fitting. The only downside is that as a couple of the reviews on their site mentioned if you rest the MacBook Pro on the sleeve the magnet in the sleeve will make it go to sleep. It's a pretty good alternative to getting a case.

https://www.goincase.com/shop/sleeves/icon-sleeve-mb-retina-13/blackslate/

10. Gqi thread starter macrumors newbie

So I've done some more research and found out a hardshell case is something I should avoid, in general. The tech21 case looks very good, but there are some people who have noticed scratching, so I'm avoiding it.

The SFBags looks AMAZING! :eek::eek:

But how does it compare to the Thule sleeves?

11. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

I don't own a Thule sleeve, but their padding looks very similar to SFbags, on the inside. Which is the biggest selling point. The outside of the case can look amazing, but if it doesn't protect your Mac, it's worthless.

SFbags are very customizable when ordering, both in color and accessories, so that's also something to consider. It probably comes down to which case you prefer, and how much money you want to spend. I hope this helps a little... :)
    Good luck in your decision!

12. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

I Love SFbags(Waterfield). I own their sleeve case and now the Staad Backpack. Great design, excellent build quality, excellent customer service.

Padding is excellent, especially in their Sleevecase, as my old cMBP fell from a table after I accidentally pushed it off and there was zero damage to it.

My rMBP is completely naked and flawless after almost a year. Care with with a nice bag/sleeve/case makes a hard shell unnecessary. Too many people nowadays buying $1300+ machines but cheaping out on what they carry it in.

13. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

Hard cases often do more damage than good. If any dust gets under there, it basically makes the case sandpaper with every bump. I don't recommend it. I use a RadTech Sleevez slip in case. It's VERY minimal protection, so if you're worried about that, find a different case. But if you're careful with your expensive possessions, it's not an issue.

I don't recommend SFBags. I had a bad experience on here with them several years back, and they went unhinged when I posted the situation here, going so far as to threaten me. There are far too many companies to deal with who make good cases to tolerate that as a customer.

14. Deane2000 macrumors member

Deane2000

Most damage to laptops happen during transport not during use. You paid a premium for Apple to engineer your 13 MBP to be as thin and as light as possible. Clipping it in a hard shell cover that may, according to many, cause more harm than good, is going to add weight and bulk and undermines the whole point of paying the premium.

It's good that you are looking to keep your 13" as pristine as possible as Apple laptops have such a high resale value. So the better the condition your's is in at the end of your program the more it will be worth.

As many have suggested, a lightweight sleeve might be a much better solution. You'll get all the protection you'll need without adding weight and bulk to your 13" when you are actually using it. Since you're still in school and value is probably pretty important, I would have a look at something like this -

13" MBP Backpack + Sleeve

The sleeve and backpack work together and can be used together and / or separately with the sleeve always making sure your 13" MacBook Pro is well protected. The sleeve is available as a separate item but for the money it's hard to be this combo. Plus you get a free, matching pouch for all your cables, adapters, and AC cord as part of the package.

Good luck in your search.

13-MacBook-Pro-Backpack.jpg