Best machine to buy for end-of-year budget

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ozone, Apr 20, 2007.

1. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Hi... my office's fiscal year is coming to a close and there is a *chance* I can get a better computer. Right now, I'm using a tablet - I wish Apple would make one. The ModBook doesn't quite look like what I want, so for tablet uses, I'll stick with good ol' rusty Windows for now.

However, I'd like to get a main computer for the office itself, and then use the tablet to just supplement. My first inclination was to get a 24" iMac. Now, I hear that new iMacs are imminent. I then thought I should just get a MacPro, which is at least mostly upgradeable, but I'm a bit hardpressed to justify all the money for a MacPro when I will not be heavily into video rendering, etc. And then, why not just go for a laptop and get a BookEndz dock and a monitor? But, I already have a tablet for portability (mainly notetaking and editing), so what would I do with another laptop? Plus, I find my old 17" G4 PB a bit "stutterly" in terms of screen performance on an externally connected monitor. Not sure if this would be a problem for the newer Mac laptops.

So, it comes down to:
    1. iMac (probably my first choice, but more by default than anything);
    2. MacPro;
    3. MacBook or MBP with monitor, dock, etc.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What are you replacing? What do you want to be able to do on it?

3. Trogloxene macrumors regular

Go for the Mac with the biggest Monitor size. Multiple program windows makes you work better and faster.

-T

4. robPOD macrumors 6502

I would get a MBP with a 23" display and dock etc.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi