Best MBA 11 Traveler Bag? Briggs & Riley for MacBook Air 11-Inch (Haswell 2013)

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by christof, Oct 23, 2013.

1. christof macrumors 6502

I just switched from a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina (MBPr 2012 Sandy Bridge) to an MBA11 and need some help. I'm a huge fan of Briggs and Riley and thought I should let everyone know that I tried fitting the MBA 11 and found that it won't fit with these two Baseline type bags:

- @work Compact Digital Case KB102 (vertical murse type bag) http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Compact-Digital-Case_KB102 -- contrary to the review on Briggs-Riley.com, the MBA11 doesn't fit inside the bag horizontally nor vertically; it only fits vertically in the outside front pocket and will stick out; the bag has no rear-side pocket.
    - @work Netbook Clamshell Briefcase KBC101 (horizontal checkpoint / sentry compatible brief) http://www.briggs-riley.com/category/productDetail.aspx?id=Netbook-Clamshell-Brief_KBC101

Ideally, I'd have a compact bag that could fit a power adapter and cables for the smallest MacBook Air on the market (at this point the 11-inch, and maybe later on the rumored 12-inch Retina MBA), along with a 9.7-inch iPad Air, a Logitech Easy-Switch Bluetooth Keyboard for Mac K811, and a Logitech Rechargable Trackpad for Mac T651 (or the similar Apple Wireless Keyboard and an Apple Magic Trackpad).

A Check Point friendly / Sentry compatible bag would be an added bonus. However, I do really like the verticle bag style.

I've seen the Tom Bihn Ristretto, but I've never had any experience with them. Is their warranty awesome? No questions asked, Briggs and Riley has repaired or completely replaced my airline damaged bags -- even a bag that was chewed up by a family dog. So, how good is Tom Bihn? Tumi doesn't cut it -- they've burned me many times with no repairs or replacements. Advocates of the Waterfield SFBags Muzetto, please also chime in. I haven't looked at Hartmann, but their tweed luggage always seemed too pricey and didn't fit my taste: plain, black, understated, simple, comfortable, no frills.

Any suggestions, fellow globe trotters?

2. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Eh..if I can't fit it in my 5.11 Rush 12 I don't travel with it.

A small bag that limits what you can carry to something the size of an iPad seems a step backward while traveling, despite the quality.

I guess I'm just not hoity toity enough for some of these threads..

3. christof thread starter macrumors 6502

I've never heard of the 5.11 Rush 12. Any thoughts on GORUCK bags? I like the SK16.