Best MBP External Monitor for $300?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 86nji, Dec 26, 2012.

1. 86nji, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

86nji macrumors member

86nji

Hi guys,

I am getting a monitor for use with my MBP I was looking @ dell monitors and others, what options are there for external displays for Mac Book Pro?

2. simsaladimbamba

Wireless would be too slow for a proper external display. It might suffice for remote screen sharing, but not for actually using a display. Even using a Gigabit connection proves too slow for some uses and modern displays use interfaces faster than Gigabit Ethernet.
    MDP, or Thunderbolt, uses 17 Gbit/s, HDMI uses 10 Gbit/s to transfer images from a computer to a display.

3. 86nji thread starter macrumors member

86nji

so theres no way, what about throwing a load of money at it?

4. simsaladimbamba

But what would be the benefit, as you would have to use an external device anyway on the Thunderbolt port, thus probably limiting the port?

There is 802.11ac, which might be able to do this (wireless display), but is is still a draft and not implemented in Macs or displays.

For simple text manipulation or reading, wireless 802.11n or 802.11g might suffice, but you need a host computer to connect to anyway for screen sharing.

I can understand, that an extra cable might not be an optimum solution, but right now, it is what it is.

5. 86nji thread starter macrumors member

86nji

Extra cable then :(

EDIT: Thankyou btw mate, thanks v much!

6. simsaladimbamba

I myself have the Dell U2412M and am connecting my 2009 MBP via MDP to it and am more than satisfied with the display. It is big enough for my needs, though since I am coming from two display configurations, I would like to have another one just like this, but that is for another time or my 2013 Hackintosh project.

7. 86nji thread starter macrumors member

86nji

8. simsaladimbamba

That is probably an okay monitor too, I am just still hung up on 16:10 displays, thus the U2412M I have.

As for the Hackintosh, I already have a PowerMac G5 case some university wanted to throw away and I found in its freight elevator. Now I just have to get the parts and do some bastling.

9. 86nji thread starter macrumors member

86nji

sounds brill mate, I was thinking of getting a i7 CPU and SSD for my MBP!

Ah well join to sleep now its 3:30am here!

10. simsaladimbamba

Ha, it is 4:30 am here. Got you there, did I not?

11. Livewings macrumors regular

Try CrossOver 27. They're cb good.

12. 86nji, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

86nji thread starter macrumors member

86nji

Ok, Thanks buddy!

You did mate!

So your in Europe or Africa!

13. simsaladimbamba

Europe, Berlin, the city of pee and drugs.

14. 86nji thread starter macrumors member

86nji

ah ok im in London!

I am getting the u2412m but I do not want it on the stand! can you think of a solution so it is supported and looks good but is only like an inch of the work surface? :(

15. simsaladimbamba

An arm like these, and congratulations on living in London, I was there for two weeks and albeit a bit full and expensive, I somehow loved the town to bits.
    I lived in Bermondsey and Islington while there and only got to see a fraction of the village.

Btw, I just tested my U2412M and pushed it down all the way. The beginning of the actual LCD is a mere 3 centimetres from the table, that is an inch, isn't it?

16. 86nji thread starter macrumors member

86nji

Ha, thats great mate, thanks for the advice, I like the markets the best! The German market is awesome!