Best method of getting the iPhone in UK if already on O2

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheAlchemist, Jun 9, 2010.

1. TheAlchemist macrumors newbie

Hey guys thanks in advance.

My situation is as follows. I have a 3G that's contract ran out in December. I decided not to get the 3Gs as i knew that Apple would make a marked difference on their new phone this year, the wait has paid off lol. I was surprised that i haven't received anything from O2 about upgrading my phone etc since the contract has ended, they have simply continued with the same cost per month but without being tied down to x amount of months.

My question is whats the best course of action to get the iPhone 4 with this contract? Will it be cheaper if i go via O2 as an "upgrade" or do i need to preorder from Apple and then ring O2? I'm hoping to get my hands on one asap so i want to get this to run as smoothly as possible lol.

Thanks again!

2. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm planning on calling them up on the 15th and asking what deal can they offer me to stay with o2, before I move to Vodafone.

Hopefully I might be able to get a decent deal. I've notice the 16GB 3G has gone down from £200 to £175 today on their recycle.

3. Duck117 macrumors member

Depending on how much money you have to spend all at once...

The cheapest option in the long run (and therefore the best imo) is to buy an iPhone4 on pay as you go, and get a simplicity contract from O2.

If you ring O2 today, they will put you on simplicity, which is a 30 day contract for £20/month... unlimited internet and texts and around 300 mins i think.

Simplicity is for people, like you, who have completed the 18 month contract but still use the phone.

4. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

I was in a similar position to you, but instead I switched to the £19.99 iPhone Simplicity tariff from January onwards.

I imagine you and I would use the upgrade path with O2, in which they're likely to ask for current contract information if you want to renew/upgrade. They'll just start your 18 (or 24) month contract length again and off you go. Obviously the upfront charge for the phone will still apply.

5. TheAlchemist thread starter macrumors newbie

Why oh why didn't i click that with O2 i've been paying £40 a month for the last 6 months! That's a years worth of simplicity lol I was going give O2 a call on the 15th but didn't want to end up missing out on the preorder on the Apple website if it turned out that was the better route to take.

I knew the recycle websites would have their prices drop as soon as the iphone 4 was announced so i sent mine off to envirofone. £186 not too bad for a quick sell. That'l cover most of the upfront as im after the 32gb model.

Hope O2 are good with sending new releases out!