Best Modern Translations of KJV Bible

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I’ve only every read the KJV Christian Bible. Having finished it, and started again, I am curious to explore more modern translations of the text. Which Bible versions have you read that you thought remained fairly true to the original KJV or greek text?

Two I’m looking at are:

New King James Version (NKJV)
Modern English Version (MEV)

Sydde

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Just go over to biblegateway.com, they have quite a large selection of translations (and maybe an original version or two), you can compare the text between them and decide which you like.

Renzatic

Suspended
Most religious threads do.

Anyway, I'd vote for the NIV. Haven't read much of any of it, but I do know it's translated into modern English, sourced from the original (or as close to original as they could get) Hebrew, Aramaic, and Ancient Greek manuscripts.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Just go over to biblegateway.com, they have quite a large selection of translations (and maybe an original version or two), you can compare the text between them and decide which you like.
Glad to help. That said, don't be afraid to ask these types of questions. Just ignore the off topic responses.
Thank you both for these links. I only have time to glance at them now, but they both seem very helpful.

I'll read them more in depth tonight.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Most religious threads do.

Anyway, I'd vote for the NIV. Haven't read much of any of it, but I do know it's translated into modern English, sourced from the original (or as close to original as they could get) Hebrew, Aramaic, and Ancient Greek manuscripts.
Oops, I missed this post. I actually know quite a few people who use this one, I'll check it out.

I'll have to keep this private, my family would think I'm atheist for reading something besides the KJV Bible. :/

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Oops, I missed this post. I actually know quite a few people who use this one, I'll check it out.

I'll have to keep this private, my family would think I'm atheist for reading something besides the KJV Bible. :/
Why? :confused:

It really wouldn't be anyones business if you were an atheist.
I am not a fan of atheism, but having free choice is a fundamental part of christianity and there is nothig wrong with studying all religions and philosophies. Even atheism ;)

In fact, I think it is important to understand the essence of atheism, because once you have, you can see right through it.

Reactions: jkcerda

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I am not a fan of atheism, but having free choice is a fundamental part of christianity and there is nothig wrong with studying all religions and philosophies. Even atheism ;)
I want to learn more about my religion but my parents won't like that. Oy.
I'm adopted, so my parents are much older than your typical ones at my age. They are very set in their ways which is why I often avoid talking religion and politics with them. They would be displeased, but accept reading other Christian Bibles, but they would probably cry if I studied another religion.

I am Christian, but I also learn about other beliefs, it helps promote tolerance and understanding. I mean, my best friend of 8 years is a homosexual atheist. People of different beliefs, backgrounds, and orientations can get along and *GASP* be friends.

All I'm wanted right now is to read a more modern Christian Bible to help better understand parts of it.

Reactions: TITNTUFF

Mousse

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Only if you're Catholic. Protestants won't like the extra 6 books not found in the Protestant bibles.

Being Catholic, it's my bible of choice for easy reading, although I cross reference it with the New Jerusalem Bible to make sure I'm not misunderstanding the passage. The NJB (translated directly from the original source) is more accurate than the NAB.

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Just my opinion >

New American Standard > recommended for accuracy and faithfulness to original texts
New King James > a very good update to the older KJV text
New International Version > more readable than the NASB but takes some liberties IMO
The Message > attempts to be faithful to the texts AND provide vivid verbal imagery to reinforce it... consider it a supplement

There are some underlying textual differences... which are relatively minor
The NASB/NIV are based on what is known as the 'Minority Texts' and the KJV/NKJV are based on the 'Majority Texts'
Some feel the minority texts (fewer of them) are more accurate while the majority texts (more of them) are less so
There are arguments for both views, but the differences, as I said are relatively minor and not generally noticed by a casual reader

For actual study of the Bible > NASB / NKJV
For casual reading > The Message / NIV

My 2¢

Reactions: ucfgrad93

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Only if you're Catholic. Protestants won't like the extra 6 books not found in the Protestant bibles.

Being Catholic, it's my bible of choice for easy reading, although I cross reference it with the New Jerusalem Bible to make sure I'm not misunderstanding the passage. The NJB (translated directly from the original source) is more accurate than the NAB.
This is what I'm looking for (but Protestant for now). The KJV is the direct and more accurate source (if I understand it correctly, it can get confusing with so many branches and versions). I'm looking for a modern translation that's easier to read.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Thank you for this.

*SIGH* Things get so complicated with different branches of Christianity and different Bible versions. It's really laughable when people classify everything as either "Christian, Muslim, or Atheism." There are so many divisions within each that it's like separate beliefs.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
Thank you for this.

*SIGH* Things get so complicated with different branches of Christianity and different Bible versions. It's really laughable when people classify everything as either "Christian, Muslim, or Atheism." There are so many divisions within each that it's like separate beliefs.
they ARE separate beliefs.
plentyof Christians think the other Christians are wrong :p

anyways
Matthew 7:2

http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-2.htm

New International Version
For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
New Living Translation
For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.
English Standard Version
For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you.
New American Standard Bible
"For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.King James Bible
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
be happy with YOUR way for it shall be how YOU are measured, the rest will be measured THEIR way.

Reactions: Meister

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I’ve only every read the KJV Christian Bible. Having finished it, and started again, I am curious to explore more modern translations of the text. Which Bible versions have you read that you thought remained fairly true to the original KJV or greek text?

Two I’m looking at are:

I prefer the REB (Revised English Bible). It's not widely popular in the US (it was translated mostly in the UK), but I personally find it to be a very literary translation. It's well annotated too.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

Two I’m looking at are:

If you like the general feeling of the KJV, the NKJV is worth a spin. For some variety, consider the NASB, the NLT and the NIV. I tend to prefer the older versions of the NASB and the NIV but that's probably more habit than principle.

By the way, not to be picking nits, but the KJV is just an English translation of Hebrew and Greek texts. It's not a source document.

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
You also might want to check out the YouVersion Bible App
Pretty good app and gives you access to multiple versions, devotional plans and other resources
Great suggestion, especially on an iPad. (I find it hard to read anything on an iPhone screen...YMMV...) For a great web site that will display lots of translations and also show two side by side, consider https://www.biblegateway.com

Reactions: TITNTUFF

TITNTUFF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2010
West Louisiana

One upmanship by reading Cambridge Edition KJV might cancel out your "indiscretion". At least you are reading for yourself instead of being spoon fed another's interpretation.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
By the way, not to be picking nits, but the KJV is just an English translation of Hebrew and Greek texts. It's not a source document.
Oh I know. I just meant a more modern version of the KJV translation, although I'm thinking of trying another translation simply because I know some things had to be lost in the conversion from Hebrew and Greek into English.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
There are several sites on the internet that will compare scripture from numerous translations on the same page.

Seeing the words side by side will help in determining which text is right for you. One will certainly stand out over the others.

mudslag

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2010
Why? :confused:

In fact, I think it is important to understand the essence of atheism, because once you have, you can see right through it.

Considering atheism has one singular meaning and nothing else to cloud it up, being transparent is a good thing. Having such a transparent view makes it pretty easy to understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grey Beard