Best Modern Translations of KJV Bible

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Traverse, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I’ve only every read the KJV Christian Bible. Having finished it, and started again, I am curious to explore more modern translations of the text. Which Bible versions have you read that you thought remained fairly true to the original KJV or greek text?

Two I’m looking at are:

New King James Version (NKJV)
    Modern English Version (MEV)

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

3. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Just go over to biblegateway.com, they have quite a large selection of translations (and maybe an original version or two), you can compare the text between them and decide which you like.

4. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Most religious threads do.

Anyway, I'd vote for the NIV. Haven't read much of any of it, but I do know it's translated into modern English, sourced from the original (or as close to original as they could get) Hebrew, Aramaic, and Ancient Greek manuscripts.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Biblegateway.com is a great resource.

Given the nature of the topic, I'm not terribly surprised by that.

6. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you for that.

---
    I know not to ask a religion-related question here again. :/

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Glad to help. That said, don't be afraid to ask these types of questions. Just ignore the off topic responses.

8. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you both for these links. I only have time to glance at them now, but they both seem very helpful.

I'll read them more in depth tonight.

9. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Oops, I missed this post. I actually know quite a few people who use this one, I'll check it out.

I'll have to keep this private, my family would think I'm atheist for reading something besides the KJV Bible. :/

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

Why? :confused:

It really wouldn't be anyones business if you were an atheist.
    I am not a fan of atheism, but having free choice is a fundamental part of christianity and there is nothig wrong with studying all religions and philosophies. Even atheism ;)

In fact, I think it is important to understand the essence of atheism, because once you have, you can see right through it.

11. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

I'm adopted, so my parents are much older than your typical ones at my age. They are very set in their ways which is why I often avoid talking religion and politics with them. They would be displeased, but accept reading other Christian Bibles, but they would probably cry if I studied another religion.

I am Christian, but I also learn about other beliefs, it helps promote tolerance and understanding. I mean, my best friend of 8 years is a homosexual atheist. People of different beliefs, backgrounds, and orientations can get along and *GASP* be friends.

All I'm wanted right now is to read a more modern Christian Bible to help better understand parts of it.

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Only if you're Catholic. Protestants won't like the extra 6 books not found in the Protestant bibles.

Being Catholic, it's my bible of choice for easy reading, although I cross reference it with the New Jerusalem Bible to make sure I'm not misunderstanding the passage. The NJB (translated directly from the original source) is more accurate than the NAB.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just my opinion >

New American Standard > recommended for accuracy and faithfulness to original texts
    New King James > a very good update to the older KJV text
    New International Version > more readable than the NASB but takes some liberties IMO
    The Message > attempts to be faithful to the texts AND provide vivid verbal imagery to reinforce it... consider it a supplement

There are some underlying textual differences... which are relatively minor
    The NASB/NIV are based on what is known as the 'Minority Texts' and the KJV/NKJV are based on the 'Majority Texts'
    Some feel the minority texts (fewer of them) are more accurate while the majority texts (more of them) are less so
    There are arguments for both views, but the differences, as I said are relatively minor and not generally noticed by a casual reader

For actual study of the Bible > NASB / NKJV
    For casual reading > The Message / NIV

My 2¢

14. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

This is what I'm looking for (but Protestant for now). The KJV is the direct and more accurate source (if I understand it correctly, it can get confusing with so many branches and versions). I'm looking for a modern translation that's easier to read.

15. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Thank you for this.

*SIGH* Things get so complicated with different branches of Christianity and different Bible versions. It's really laughable when people classify everything as either "Christian, Muslim, or Atheism." There are so many divisions within each that it's like separate beliefs.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

they ARE separate beliefs.
    plentyof Christians think the other Christians are wrong :p

anyways
    Matthew 7:2

http://biblehub.com/matthew/7-2.htm

be happy with YOUR way for it shall be how YOU are measured, the rest will be measured THEIR way.

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You also might want to check out the YouVersion Bible App
    Pretty good app and gives you access to multiple versions, devotional plans and other resources

18. burgundyyears macrumors 6502

I prefer the REB (Revised English Bible). It's not widely popular in the US (it was translated mostly in the UK), but I personally find it to be a very literary translation. It's well annotated too.

19. newellj macrumors 601

If you like the general feeling of the KJV, the NKJV is worth a spin. For some variety, consider the NASB, the NLT and the NIV. I tend to prefer the older versions of the NASB and the NIV but that's probably more habit than principle.

By the way, not to be picking nits, but the KJV is just an English translation of Hebrew and Greek texts. It's not a source document.

20. newellj macrumors 601

Great suggestion, especially on an iPad. (I find it hard to read anything on an iPhone screen...YMMV...) For a great web site that will display lots of translations and also show two side by side, consider https://www.biblegateway.com

21. TITNTUFF macrumors regular

TITNTUFF

One upmanship by reading Cambridge Edition KJV might cancel out your "indiscretion". At least you are reading for yourself instead of being spoon fed another's interpretation.

22. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

Oh I know. I just meant a more modern version of the KJV translation, although I'm thinking of trying another translation simply because I know some things had to be lost in the conversion from Hebrew and Greek into English.

23. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

There are several sites on the internet that will compare scripture from numerous translations on the same page.

Seeing the words side by side will help in determining which text is right for you. One will certainly stand out over the others.

24. mudslag, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Considering atheism has one singular meaning and nothing else to cloud it up, being transparent is a good thing. Having such a transparent view makes it pretty easy to understand.