Best monitor - any price (better than white intel iMac?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macaddiict, Jun 16, 2011.

1. macaddiict macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm wanting to upgrade from my white 20" intel iMac -- but honestly, the screen is probably the best I have ever used.

It is an LG IPS panel that is more vibrant, crisp, and easy to look at than anything else I have bought in the last few years.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm picky about the looks of the monitor, so I'd like something classy looking with excellent picture quality.

I was thinking about getting an LG IPS monitor, but I am leery of the brand not really being what is so great about this screen. I think it must have just had great specs. I did some searching, and it seems like many users raved about the white iMac (intel) screens. (The G5 iMac had some crappy screens, depending on the model).

Thanks!
    Stephen

2. macaddiict thread starter macrumors regular

I think I also prefer 16:10 or 4:3 -- lets you actually see the length of a whole page compared to the 16:9 I have at work.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

The Dell U2410 is nice and has a lot of features, inputs and is 1200p w/ 16:10.

4. macaddiict thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for the reply! I had researched the U2410, but it seems like there are a few complaints (old versions have issues, new version is pretty new - could have issues, anti-glare coating is pretty annoying apparently, build quality is low, etc.)

I wouldn't mind spending closer to $1,000 for a good monitor - or even stick with a 20-22" rather than 24" if it was super high quality.

I was considering an old 23" ACD, but it appears these have very mixed reviews and reliability. Bummer!

5. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

6. Zaqfalcon macrumors 6502

The best monitors, especially for colour critical work, are made by NEC or Eizo; if you have the cash of course.

7. macaddiict thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all of your feedback -- I have ordered a well-reviewed NEC 2490WUXi (not the version 2, which some don't like). Hoping for the best!

Thanks for your help and input. Hopefully this IPS panel with A-TW filter will be a great monitor!

-Stephen

8. Zaqfalcon macrumors 6502

Nice!

9. macaddiict thread starter macrumors regular

LOVING the new screen so far! Thanks for pointing me to NEC.

The particular monitor I got is gorgeous. 24" 16:10 is exactly what I wanted... I am not a fan at all of the short and wide 16:9 screens in comparison.

Best of all, the NEC is actually better looking than the white 20" intel iMac - which had been the #1 screen in my book for years. So, I'm one happy camper!

I think the only big difference between the 2409WUXi and the 2409WUXi2 is the type of polarizer used. If you're looking for a monitor and don't expect to use it IN THE DARK all the time, I'd bet the "2" model would be a great one for anyone looking. Dark room performance seems to be the main thing people gripe about with the "2" model. However, it has better specs on some other aspects...