Best Monitor for 13" MBP.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Caolan96, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Caolan96 macrumors regular

Hello All,

I notice myself using a monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard alot more now.

But my own monitor just isnt cutting it.

So I have a few questions,

I was looking at the apple monitor, and have no intention of purchasing it due to the outrageous price, however I was looking at a HD Dell monitor, and from what i can see it has better specs, better response time, res, and contrast ratio etc.

So why is the dell monitor so cheap compared to the Apple one, is there something I'm really missing here.

Apple Monitor - http://www.apple.com/displays/

Dell Monitor - http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=309074

Thanks.

2. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Mainly Convenience I think.

Hello-

I happen to own almost identical models to those. The older model to that dell (Same size and design, lower resolution) and an older 23" Cinema Display (same resolution, smaller size)

I own a 2.53GHz first gen 13" MacBook Pro. They both work great for everything except high end gaming, which the 9400m graphics card was not really meant to do in the first place. Web browsing is amazing however.

To me, the cinema display is a lot better, just convenience wise.

I can adjust the brightness controls, the cinema display itself has a system prefrences pane in displays, and it's all around together very nice.
    Plus, with the 24" you get built in speakers, a MacBook charging Magsafe cord, and just built in instant connectivity.

With the dell, to adjust brightness, you have to use the display buttons, and use your macbook charger, and get separate speakers or use your computer's built in ones.

If the extra stuff that ACD offers makes sense to you, go for it, although the price is quite hefty. (If I remember correctly when my 23" came out it was near 1800 dollars :eek: )

Although, personally, if it was me, i'd find a nice used 23" ACD off ebay(They run about 300-500 for an mintish condition one), or get this:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB382LL/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

At least it's a tad cheaper than the new one. They come in stock off an on, so if it's out of stock check back.

3. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I have the ACD 24" for my MBP and it is so, so good. The compatability, the look and feel, the extra magsafe, built in iSight. It's all good.

There are refurbished ones on the :apple: website for a decent price. It's worth it if you do any type of graphic/print work too. The IPS panel is great.

4. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Apple or Samsung. Go for a 24-inch 1900x1200 if you can. Though most 24-inch displays these days are 1920x1080. Less real estate. If you want a physically bigger size, avoid 27-inch displays that can't do *above* 1920x1200.

If you want a quality 27-inch, I'd say go with a Dell display (ugly as they may be.)

Otherwise, you have some choice in the 24-inch area. Good luck finding a 1920x1200, but I think Samsung still offers one. The smaller-res 1920x1080 displays have pretty much taken over. Yes, it does "1080p", but so does a 1920x1200 and offers more space in the process.