Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jchoiny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Currently shopping around for a monitor for Mac Pro. Apple just announced a 27 inch ACD with LED background. Then, there's the 30 inch ACD getting phased out. Any other contender? What if money is no object here . . . ?

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
If money's no object then probably something like the LaCie 730 but personally, if money were no object, I'd probably go for three Dell or Apple 30" screens for about the same amount.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
The Dell 27" display is a popular one. Has 102% color gamut whereas the apple is just 70%.

The monitor comes calibrated guaranteed.

Has a 3 year no quibble pixel policy. So even any problems with one pixel and they replace it next day.

So in terms of quality get that, but it has a matte display and is a bit more expensive.

Personally Im gonna be buying the 27" ACD so it matches the iMac completely.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Money no object?

Barco RHDM- 2301P. Only 23" so might need two or three of them...

...at about US$21,000 each.

blackmtn

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2010
Northern British Columbia
As the above poster noted, if you just want to spend money, grab an Eizo!

Personally I'll be buying this -> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...41W_BK_MultiSync_PA241W_BK_24_Widescreen.html <- it uses DisplayPort and will accept 10 bit input, so when Apple/AMD get around to implementing 10 bit colour in the OS and drivers I'll have a monitor ready for it. It can also be hardware calibrated with my current Spyder 3.

Of course, I'm buying this from a photographer's perspective - that monitor would probably suck for gaming!

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006
Truly if money was no object, I'd look in the area of a $10,000-$20,000 projector.

But since money is an object to a degree, I"m EAGERLY waiting for the 27" LED ACD.

grue

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2003
Somewhere.
There is no "BEST" display, just like there is no "best" car, etc. It completely depends on what you're going to do with it.

!sMoOvE!

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
ok...what if money is a limiting factor?

I'm looking for the best quality Monitor for PHOTOS, VIDEO EDITING, WEB BROWSING, and doesn't burn your eyes out like the latest apple displays.

I just talked myself mentally out of the 30" Apple HD Cinema Display

Price range: give or take $200

Thank you for your advice! I'm looking forward to my Mac Pro showing up at my door at the end of this week

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I have the new 27" LED sitting next to the 30" Cinema display. Both are gorgeous in their own ways, but the newer monitor seems a little sharper in comparison. It's not anything that you would notice looking at the 30" alone, but side by side, there is a marginal difference.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I have an ACD and I'm very happy with it. A little overpriced but it looks great.

If money is no object though, go with Eizo. LaCie and NEC also make very good displays.

!sMoOvE!

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2010
you guys are convincing me to look at the apple displays again.... :(

anything else like Samsung or Dell?

darlenea

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010
Minnesota
Nec Pa271w-bk-sv

I really like my NEC PA271W-BK-SV - If price was not a problem I would love to have two of these - That would be perfect. Darlene

Darlene

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Screw the monitors. I'd have people draw every frame out at 60 frames per second. :p

dissolve

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2009

If you're doing photo or video editing and color accuracy is important to you (which it should be) you need to look at IPS panels. Dell offers the cheapest, to my knowledge, IPS monitors with decent reviews. U2211h and U2311h are the 21.5" and 23" variants, respectively. They fall around your budget.

troutweed

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
Hobart, Australia
Colour critical photography? Eizo for my vote.

Fantastic straight out of the box, and offer not only standardised but also manual colour calibration.

The magazine I do pre-press for uses the same printer all the time. I can calibrate my 22" Eizo, then 'tweak' it to EXACTLY match their proof output. I then know that what's on my screen will perfectly match what the pressroom guys are printing to. The only way to get perfect colour soft-proofing, and ultimately the best possible final product.

I actually have it beside my 27" iMac via mini-display port, and just use it for images, and use the big screen for design, web, finders etc.

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana

You asked 'if price is no object' so expect a ton of NEC (PA/WUXI) models and EIZO suggestions. They have hardware calibration and are some of the best professional monitors out there.

JTR7

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2010
You asked 'if price is no object' so expect a ton of NEC (PA/WUXI) models and EIZO suggestions. They have hardware calibration and are some of the best professional monitors out there.

Actually, he did not. He came in and hijacked this thread. The OP said price is no object.

To the OP, Eizo or NEC if price is no object. However, I've had great experience with the Dell Ultrasharp line.

Honumaui

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
NEC or Eizo ? both are equal and both are the best and its down to personal choice on these two of what you like

I would take the NEC cause its less money :)

some time ago Dr Karl Lang asked Eizo for monitors to test against the NEC and Eizo refused ? that alone says a lot to me that they can not back up they are better !
not saying they are worse either ;) but when they claim to be the best yet refuse to head to head them with NEC ? well that again says a lot

quite a few other color guys I know have head to head them and they all pretty much have the same outcome the numbers are so close and so low it does not matter which one you pick ! choose the one you are happy with and enjoy

the NEC the PA is the new model and beats the older 90 series the 24 and 27 PA are out now the 30 in a bit but nobody knows for sure ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.