best monitor for macpro, for design? dell sp2309w?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by umbilical, Apr 5, 2009.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi, I need help, Iam web designer, I have a macpro, and I want a monitor that bring me the best for web design, print ... you know photo work... design...

Iam trust always on apple, but the new LED is too expensive and my macpro 08 dont works with the new led for the mini dv etc... so I buy yesterday a DELL SP2309W, I love the resolution 2048x1152, 23inc a lot space for work thats great! but is good for web design? my problem is that Iam suck calibrating a monitor!

if I contact somebody pro that calibrate monitors, this on works for design? I want real colors...

maybe I think that was better buy a used cinema display 23 used... matte! maybe... I dont know, any owner of DELL SP2309W? or any pro of calibration that help me?

thanks

2. grue macrumors 65816

3. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Best? Or Best Deal?

DELL doesn't make the best LCDs but their monitors are great deals!
    Some of them are on par with Apple Cinema Displays (also NOT the
    best monitors) but are 1/2 price from the Apple ones.

Best LCDs are the new NECs and the Eizo ColorEdges right?

5. 11800506 macrumors 65816

It uses a TN panel so if you need your monitor for color work it's going to be absolutely atrocious. If you need accurate color you should look for an IPS panel or at least a PVA type panel.

6. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I thought DELL used PVA and IPS too. No? So if correct then it depends on the model. Still tho, not the best display... Just good price|performance ratio.

7. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

I dont know, Eizo are too pro and too expensive course... I need some decent monitor for web design!!! I want see real colors? any pro?? that recommend a great monitor, I dont know if send back this dell or keep it...

8. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Yes, Dell's UltraSharp line uses a mix (I think) of PVA and IPS panels. The SP2309 however is a part of Dell's consumer line and as a result uses TN panels.

To the OP, as long as you don't need super color accuracy you should be fine, however if you do I would look at getting a different monitor.

9. jons macrumors 6502

I have a Dell 3007WFP, which uses the same IPS panel as the 30" ACD, and it's great.

I had two 30" ACD, but sold them and got the Dell. Much better price/performance ratio.

10. sboerup macrumors 6502

Search for the Dell refurbs, they pop up every week or so. Got my 3007wfp-hc for $860 shipped, its amazing. Better than Apple's panel.

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

When it comes to web-design. Colour accuracy isn't so important mostly because the typical user who'd be browsing the site won't have a calibrated display and different browsers render images slightly differently.

12. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know but well the idea is that I need real colors and perfect calibration for make the sites, pick right colors etc... IF the typical user browser dont have a good calibration is dont important, the idea is the source (me) bring the right colors and good colors in the site graphics, photos etc. For that reason I want the best

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The visual capabilities of a monitor is irrelevant when it comes to any design where the output ain't related to printed media. Period. If colour accuracy is important to you as a web-desinger, there are hardware calibration tools that will calibrate just about any monitor to 'x' standard but in general web-designers don't need absolute colour accuracy. Both monitors you're comparing (ACD and DELL) will be more than suitable for the job!!

14. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Well, he mentioned photographs in with the "web design" so maybe there will be print options or something. Whatever, I know you're right about what you're saying tho!

And again if he REALLY wants THE BEST there is really ONLY the new NEC and the ColorEdge. All others fall into a class far inferior. For example there is so little difference between my $800 iiyama 19" IPS display and my two $250 LG 24" TN displays it's not even worth mentioning. Same is true of the ACD and the DELLs. Yet compare any of them side by side to a ColorEdge and there's just no question about it. There's no peeping closely to be able to observe some faint difference. The differences jump out and slap you silly. Heh! Silly enough to spend that kind of money obviously. :D

15. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

whats the new NEC? any link? thanks

16. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I dunno the name or link but it's like $4,000 or $5,000 or something for like 24". So you'll know it when you see it. It's getting a LOT of press as being on par or superior to the top ColorEdge models.

I've seen it in the shops and spent 30 to 40 minutes playing with it. It is as good as the ColorEdge to my eyes tho I didn't have the two side by side to compare.

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Unless the OP plans to upload huge RAW files to the site; any JPG or TIF file uploaded will be set to a particular colour space (usually the one taken, or saved by application) and if that colour space ain't based on Adobe's standard it's gonna be compromised when it comes to print, colours are gonna be unnatural, vivid and contrast will most likely be unbalanced.

Then again, there are always gonna be compromises when your printing from a website.. photographic images will never be as good as the original, uncompressed RAW file. Period.

$4,000 or $5,000 ain't alot to pay, if your a practising professional with a regular pay-check.
    Hell! Production companies pay more than $10,000 for a scanner!!

18. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Yeah, true enough...

Hey, I just noticed your location. You're in the Kansai area? I live in Nagoya! Are you Japanese or here from abroad?

19. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

ドウドウ。。こんにちわ名古屋!!! ww 私はアジア人ですよ〜 ^_^

20. MADMAXX macrumors member

For calibrated work you need a couple of things. You dont just calibrate a monitor and leave it. Calibration is only relevant in the light you are currently in. And since that changes with the day you will require a spider and light monitor. I use the Huey Pro (calibrates then monitors at selected intervals) this will provide you (once correctly calibrated) with Pantone colours.

As for monitors the new apple 24's are a right PITA. Why? because the glossy screen makes them a bitch to calibrate as the light bounces back far to much. Therefore I have to recommend the DELL 24" Ultrasharp 2408's. These are S-PVA and are highly rated amongst the imaging fraternity.

Check em out. Me, Ive got two on order ;)

21. clownjuggles macrumors member

I like the HP Dreamcolor as a really nice unit.

22. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

hate to butt in, but what does ドウドウ mean? I understand the rest ... I think :)

23. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

DELL 24" Ultrasharp 2408 is not glossy right? it seem better that my sp23092 right? why the 24 inch dont go to 2048x1152 like this sp2309w ???

let me know please, maybe I move to other...

24. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Technically the display can't but it does have hardware scaling cause i gotten mine to display 2560 by 1600 and it seems to work fine. A little small but it worked!