Best monitor for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idrawthings, May 30, 2011.

1. idrawthings macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a 15 inch MBP 6.2 and do a lot of illustration work but the small screen size is becoming difficult to work with. So I am looking to either:

A) hook it up to an existing larger monitor - I have a Dell 21 inch A00 (about 2 years old) which would do, though I'd like something even larger.

B) buy a new monitor, in which case I'd need some advice on something which can easily work with the MBP without buying too many attachments or which can be used with easily found, inexpensive connections.

C) or just suck it up and spend money I'm tight on at the moment on an iMac 27 inch.

Any advice would be most appreciated. Thank you.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd recommend a bigger monitor. If you get a dell ultrasharp, they have displayport, and you will only need to order one cheap cable with it, and it will work perfectly. I have heard the U2311 recommended pretty highly, and I believe it's only about $300

3. jackhdev macrumors 6502

Apple 27" Cinema Display

You don't have to buy an iMac just for the huge display. Apple sells "Cinema Displays". They are 27 inches and made for your Mac. Everything just plugs in from the monitor- the screen, the USB ports on the monitor, the power, etc. It's $999, but it's a great buy!

4. idrawthings thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice. I can't see myself spending $900 on just a monitor without saying, the hell with it, I may as well get the whole iMac.

I decided to let my brain overrule my emotions and be practical for the moment and am going with option B now that I know I can do that. While looking at the mentioned Dell, saw another monitor also suggested, which is bigger, $300, got decent reviews, and also works with the MBP along with one cable.

Thanks again, I appreciate the advice.

5. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

The Dell U2410 and U2711 are recommended. The U2711 uses the same panel as the Cinema Display, only with an anti-glare coating instead of the glossy glass front. All support Displayport, HDMI and DVI.

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

This one is easy. :)

The best is of course the Apple 27" Cinema Display.

I have one and it's the best. (not to mention it's made for the Macbook :D )

7. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

yea I'm in the market for a display as well and would def go for the ACD. Waiting on the refresh! :D

8. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

The apple cinema display is not the best at all.

check the reviews and you will see.

to many fanbois on here giving tech advice.

9. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

I second the Dell Ultrasharps - they're a decent value. I'd get the 24" though, as the 27" is almost double the price. If money is tight though as your OP mentions, I'd stick with the 21". The 24" Dell is over $500 and while it's a great monitor, what you have probably isn't too bad - just a tad small.

10. ohla313 macrumors 6502a

ohla313

I still think the ACD is a good option. As a student the built in magsafe is great as I can charge and leave my portable charger in my backpack. The built in isight is great for video calls as well.

11. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

Exactly. The ACD can't compare to Eizo, LaCie or photo quality NECs.

12. mac jones, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011

mac jones macrumors 68040

I don't know. I thought it was pretty easy.

It's an Apple web site here. Apple makes a great display. It has attachments for the Macbook.

Where did I go wrong? :D

13. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Not all of us hand over our money just because its got a white apple logo on it.

Some of us actually research before we buy.

14. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

+1. The U2311H is the best bang for the buck. I got mine for little over $200 and it is a very solid monitor. Best thing is that it comes with displayport so no need for adapters.

15. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Refresh? What's your info?

16. dslrjunky macrumors regular

I'd say pick up the dell and be done with it.. you can't go wrong with value over the shiny logo...
    just like one of my buddy said

"its the best buck for your bang" although i think he was referring to our female companion in south beach... lol!!

17. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

The ACD doesn't use exactly the same panel as the U2711. The ACD employs LED backlighting which is a definite plus over the Dell's CCFL.

Just as the glossy screen is a hit/miss with many people, some can't stand the "sparkle" effect that the Dell's anti-glare coating provides.

I would recommend seeing both monitors in the flesh before dropping your dough.