Best monitor leaning towards Dell UltraSharp...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by captainbeefheat, Aug 29, 2012.

1. captainbeefheat macrumors regular

Ok been looking at monitors this morning, I used to have a 24inch imac and now have a macbook pro, which I love but I watch a lot of videos on my computer and it's just not the same on my laptops 15 inch screen. So want to buy a 24 inch screen to hook into it.

I've concluded, so far the best to options for the sort of money I want to spend £230-£300 (though would need to be exceptional for the top end) is:

Dell U2412M or the Benq XL2420T The Benq seeming a bit more expensive but seems to be a great gaming Monitor. I do game a bit, booting into bootcamp and such, plus I do have a xbox360 which I do plan to at some point use more then I do but don't! So I wouldn't call myself a 'hardcore gamer' but do game. I suppose what i wonder is, the gains you get in gaming, is it similar to video or am I not really going to notice the difference generally for my usage?

Plus if anyone knows any better monitors for that sort of money let me know! They both seem kind of old so if I can get some better bang for my buck let me know! Thanks :)

2. jg321 macrumors 6502

I'm in the market for a new monitor myself and my research lead to the Dell Ultrasharp models.

24" seems too big though for home use. I'm considering the 21.5" but don't want it to be too small.

Sorta concluded that the resolution is all the same anyway so size doesn't make that much difference, as long as the text is not too small.

Will be interested to see what comments you get.

3. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

HP ZR2440w trumphs the Dell, just check all the reviews, the dell has a bad rep for wide gamut configuration.
    It's down to your needs but the HP is sRGB and a top quality monitor, I bought one for £324.

BTW it's worth mentioning I went through two other monitors before selling them and settling on this one. The e-IPS works better than expected and for that price would be hard to beat.

4. captainbeefheat thread starter macrumors regular

well went for the Benq XL2420T as a couple of reviews on amazon persuaded me, and the HDMI I think will be a good thing to have

5. thasan macrumors 6502a

Dell is my personal choice :)

6. charliex5 macrumors regular

I suggest you keep leaning...

Dell Monitors are just amazing for the price.

7. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Very nice monitor for gaming

8. brentsg macrumors 68040

I found the anti-glare coating on the Dell I had to be unacceptable. I was so aggressive as to be bothersome.

9. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I have the Dell U2412M. I came from a glossy HP and was worried about the anti-glare. After using the Dell, if I didn't know it had AG I would have thought it was glossy. I don't notice it at all.

It does seem to affect different people in different ways. A few people say they see all kinds of sparkles but most are like me. I did extensive research before buying mine and my unscientific guess is that the AG bothers maybe 10% of users at most.

It's the best monitor I've ever owned.

10. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

Fortunately, Dell's monitors are way better quality than their peecees.......and for the price, they should be at the top of most people's lists....

I've have have had several HP's in the past, and have been very happy with them too. My son still uses a 7yr old 20" with his laptop and loves it...

However, my current monitor is a 27" Samsung LCD that I scarfed up on closeout from Office Depot last summer for $221. It is by far the BEST monitor I have ever had in terms of picture and construction quality, with the added bonus of also having a TV tuner & inputs built in, so it can also be used as an 1080p HDTV nottaproblemo....

Granted there may be better monitors out there (Apple's, which are much more $$), but I will be keeping this one for a L O N G time to come. At least until I see something that offers a step up in picture quality with a similar value price-wise.....