Best monitor to hook up with MBPro 17''

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fkjr2, Apr 12, 2012.

1. fkjr2 macrumors member

Hi all - what are my options for HD 24-27" high res monitors to use in conjunction with my MBPro 17"? (plug and play)

Am I forced to get the Apple Thunderbolt display since it seamlessly attaches to the MBPro?

My only complaint for the Thunderbolt display is that the fonts are so darn tiny - my poor eyes! :eek:

Thanks

2. sehnsucht77 macrumors 6502

i am sure you can up the resolution -you can do that with any monitor. that said, you can use any monitor and just spring for a DVI-TB adaptor if its out already. you don't HAVE to use TB displays with the MBP.

3. fkjr2 thread starter macrumors member

yes but it really screws up the windows - I try that with my Mac book and the fonts and window renderings are distorted.

4. aleni macrumors 68020

thunderbolt display all the way. coz it's made to be paired with apple macs.

btw you can double tap the magic mouse in safari to zoom in just like on the ipad.

but believe me after using it for couple of days, your eyes will get used to the small fonts.

5. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

*gasp* TIL

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Old 23" Cinema Display...The alum one. If you can find a one with no scratches, they're nice. I didn't want to get the newer IPS displays and couldn't afford a new cinema display.

7. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

If you have bad eye sight perhaps something like the Dell U2410?

Edit: Why do you want something high-res when you don't like things small?

8. aleni macrumors 68020

what does TIL mean?

9. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

I use a Dell 2412M (24", IPS, 16:10, 1920x1200 - thats what I wanted, 250euros...) without any apple adapter, I just use a minidp-displayport cable (third party, which costed about 10euros incl. shipping, very cheap)

That combo works great for me and I'm very happy with it.

A good point probably, when you use it with a 17" MBP (I atm use a 13") is, that, as the mbp has the same resolution as the display, you don't have to rearrange programs etc, when moving them from one display to another...

10. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

+1 on this.

Using a 23" myself, and it's a thing of beauty.

11. Fleet would mac macrumors member

Actually, the pixel density isn't that high compared to other Apple displays ("only" 109 ppi, according to Wikipedia), so fonts should be quite readable, unless you're sitting 6 feet away, that is. :)

12. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Today I learned!

13. fkjr2 thread starter macrumors member

Because I love the Mac monitor and also watch HD movies and images.

14. fkjr2 thread starter macrumors member

how can this be connected to my Macbook?

will it work the same as the apple one?

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

16. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Any monitor with display port also natively works with the mbp. There are adapters to use dvi and VGA too.

17. fkjr2 thread starter macrumors member

this monitor is no longer available:confused:

18. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I think there are way too many answers to this question. You can basically buy any monitor you want and just buy the right adapter to work with it afterwards. Apple sells each adapter for $30.

What are you going to use your monitor for? How accurate does your color reproduction need to be on your monitor (if you do serious picture/movie editing, this is pretty important)? Are you going to game on your monitor? How much are you willing to spend?

19. fkjr2 thread starter macrumors member

up to $1000

mostly for web, itunes HD content, images, quickbooks, office, etc.

20. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

All my recommendations are going to be IPS panels since you don't do any super hardcore gaming. IPS panels have better viewing angles, color reproduction, etc etc, and are better than the cheaper TN panels in every way except price and response time (varies).

The 27" Thunderbolt display would be my choice for you, and it's right up against your price ceiling. :D That display is really nice and very simple to use/setup, but if you want a cheaper alternative, you can get the Dell U2711 or the HP ZR2740. Those displays are all 2560x1440 in resolution, and are pretty much aimed at the professional market. I also believe all 3 of the monitors all have the same panel as well, and so the primary differences between the 3 are the type/number of ports, flexibility with settings, and the like.

If you would like to go the 24" route, the Dell U2412M is a good monitor, but has an aspect ratio of 16:10 (it isn't the more common TV/movie aspect ratio of 16:9, so you'll see black bars on a lot of media you'll watch on it)

You really should read up on monitors, because there are A LOT of choices. Hardforum is a great place with a lot of computer enthusiasts discussing various aspects of computing including monitors. tftcentral.co.uk has awesome reviews and recommendations as well. The connection to your MBP is probably the very last thing you should worry about, because there are various adapters/cables that can fix that problem. The quality of the panel is the most crucial aspect of buying a monitor.

21. fkjr2 thread starter macrumors member

wow thank you - awesome info!

22. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

$1000? Easy. 27" Thunderbolt display from Apple.

I hate the Glossy screen though, so I would rather opt for a 30" Cinema Display (Alum) and use a dual link TB > Thunderbolt adapter.

23. hotgrease macrumors regular

You hate the glossy screen but would plunk down a grand for it? Why not get a matte screen monitor for half the price?

24. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

For the OP. The general user is ok with the glossy screen. I'm a graphic designer, the glossy screen causes issues for me and my work.

You can get a non-Apple display, but it just feels much better to have an Apple display. You can easily get a 23" ACD Alum for cheap or a 30" ACD Alum for cheaper than a new glossy IPS display.