Best monitor to pair with 27 iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gianthobbit, Feb 9, 2011.

1. gianthobbit macrumors 6502

I got a external 22 inch monitor already but the resolution and aspect ratio is a bit is not the same and makes using it odd at times. I really want dual 27inch monitors, this would be an amazing setup. I am even thinking about getting it on a monitor stand that can be moved etc.

I do not however want to break the bank with the ACD at $999... Is there anything else that would had the same resolution, same aspect ratio, and is nice looking that is any cheaper?

Thanks in advance!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There is Dell U2711 which is 100$ cheaper but the truth is, monitors with resolution of 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 are fairly expensive.

3. oculus42 macrumors 6502

DoubleSight makes a 27" monitor for ~$840, with the same resolution, but I can't speak for quality. Nothing but the Apple 27" or one of the 30" monitors available (check out Dell's latest 30") match the size and/or resolution.

I have a 30" monitor at home and I use a pair of 20" 4:3 ratio rotated screens to match the 1600 tall of my monitor. You could try picking up a monitor at 1440x900 to server as an auxiliary monitor, but I'm not sure what the best size match is (19" or 17" are the typical options in this range).

4. rwlcpa macrumors newbie

Refurb ACD 27" are $849 on apple.com. Same warranty as a new one.

5. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

So for just a little bit more I should just get the Apple Cinema display then I guess... that or wait for display technology to drop a bit in price...

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Besides Dell, NEC and Fujitsu have a 27" IPS 1440p display on the market.
    The latter is actually cheaper than the ACD.

However, matched displays is the way to go. Matte besides glossy isn't necessarily nice to look at.
    The refurb ACD's are a pretty good deal.

Edit: Waiting for the prices to drop? IPS panels have been around for more than a decade. Don't expect the prices in this monitor class to drop rapidly.

7. gianthobbit thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed and agreed. I will just save up for a refurb I think. Thanks for the help guys!