Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ll PiStoNs ll

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
I did some extensive searching and alot of the comparisons were pre-icloud and based on older versions..

#1 need:
I suck at planning ahead so I am going to want to be able to download powerpoints/other docs from the class website from my iPad while sitting in class
I also want to be able to edit these, such as write relevant notes from the professor under each powerpoint slide, and also be able to access them offline (i.e. be able to save them to my ipad) as well as be able to access these edited slides/notes from my macbook and print them off.

That is my main need, if anyone can reccomend which app to get, I would appreciate it.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
icab mobile is a nice backup browser o have for downloading things.

pdf provider can convert things o pdf. it ought to be able to do powerpoints, but i haven't tried.

iannotate, goodreader, pdf expert, and note taker hd can all enable you o handwrite / type annotations.

save to evernote when you are done.

ideally, you will convert the powerpoints to pdfs before getting to class, though, because even with a regular computer it takes time to mess around with files like this.

ll PiStoNs ll

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
icab mobile is a nice backup browser o have for downloading things.

pdf provider can convert things o pdf. it ought to be able to do powerpoints, but i haven't tried.

iannotate, goodreader, pdf expert, and note taker hd can all enable you o handwrite / type annotations.

save to evernote when you are done.

ideally, you will convert the powerpoints to pdfs before getting to class, though, because even with a regular computer it takes time to mess around with files like this.

Thanks alot man, Usually what I do is get to class a minute or two early and go to the website with my macbook, and download the powerpoint slides, then just take notes as class goes along under each slide.
I just got the ipad today, I've been researching since posting this. I am thinking the best thing for me is dropbox + docs to go instead of bothering with icloud - any thoughts?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Thanks alot man, Usually what I do is get to class a minute or two early and go to the website with my macbook, and download the powerpoint slides, then just take notes as class goes along under each slide.
I just got the ipad today, I've been researching since posting this. I am thinking the best thing for me is dropbox + docs to go instead of bothering with icloud - any thoughts?

glad i could help.

i like to take just the ipad to class, but in my opinion, the system works best when you do a little extra preparation, and you'll enjoy the ipad a lot more if you have everything there ready to go.

i don't use docs to go, but i have heard good things about it.

you could do either icloud or dropbox. it probably doesn't matter much at this point. my gut says that icloud is going to be the place to go for backup and syncing sometime in the future, but right now i find dropbox to be better integrated into the apps. as developers roll out updates, i am sure that will change.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US

That'll work nicely. I also use Slide Shark for PPT files, it requires you to make a free account and upload the files to it but it works really well. Otherwise I use Pages and Dropbox for other documents.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.