Best national bank to open checking account (or maybe savings)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by secretpact, Aug 25, 2008.

1. secretpact macrumors 6502

I want to switch to a bank that doesn't have a minimum balance, and doesn't have too many fees (preferably none). The reason being, I plan on pushing all the money I get into an ING Direct account to get more interest. Does anybody have any comments for a good national bank? It doesn't really need to be national, just as long as they have plenty of branches on the West Coast and East Coast. Just to clarify I'm talking about America.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Can always check out the credit unions to see who is offering to refund ATM fees.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

washingon mutual. They offer "truly free checking".

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Eww. That's a bad idea right now. Wells Fargo has done fine for me, no fees (free checking).

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

WaMu is also on death watch. I'll second the suggestion of a credit union. Preferably a large one that hasn't been gambling money on derivatives.

6. adk macrumors 68000

adk

The banks with the most branches (BoA and Chase are the two largest) also seem to charge the most fees. I don't think you're going to find a bank with tons of branches and no fees.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Not "national" in the sense that they're in every city, but I've been with Compass Bank for about 8 or 9 years now, and it's the first bank I've been happy with. Actually, really happy. Other than them, credit unions all the way. Compass is expanding fairly rapidly, though, and I've found them in most regions of the country. But, who really needs local branches anymore, anyway? ;)

8. Emily26 macrumors newbie

If you happen to still be looking, you can compare checking accounts using CheckingFinder (www.checkingfinder.com). You can type in your zip code (they have online banking too) to compare requirements and rates for high yield checking accounts offered at community banks around the country. If you find an account that suits you, you can open it for free. Hope this helps.

Emily (www.checkingfinder.com)

9. Fairy rose 48 macrumors newbie

10. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I like TD, they have a low minimum to keep in the account ($100), they are open on Sunday and they have great customer service. I moved 3 accounts from Chase 2 years ago and never looked back

11. eric/ Guest

eric/

I don't think that the OP is still looking for one.

But, I would look into a credit union as well. Avoid fees, avoid 'savings accounts', and avoid minimum balances.

I use USAA, which refunds ATM fees, and offers free checking, but you have to have been in the military or somebody in your family.

12. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

13. tekboi macrumors 6502a

tekboi

If you don't want to do Credit Unions, then i suggest chase

14. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

I'll second the notion of TD Bank. Probably one of the best banks I've ever had. We moved and the nearest branch was an hour away...

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Asking which national chain bank is the best is like asking which STD is the best. Sure, some may be worse than others, but they're all bad.