Best Navigation App is under $5.00

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheiPhoneChick, Nov 7, 2011.

1. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

I am coming from an Android phone (HTC EVO 4G) and on Sprint. We have free navigation through Sprint Nav (which is basically telenav repackaged) and also Google Navigation which is awesome. These both give turn by turn voice prompts with out a subscription.

I found out that when using the iPhone, I don't have those options so I am looking for a new app that doesn't have a monthly or yearly subscription. i was going to use the Telenav app but there is a $9.99 yearly fee, I don't want to pay that when I only use once every couple of months.

Do you have any suggestions?

2. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Mapquest for free is as good as it gets I think. There is another one that is free but has goofy icons... Looks like a kids game I heard that is ok as well it is free also and has traffic reports on it.

I will miss google navigation on my Evo.

3. TheiPhoneChick thread starter macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

I already miss navigation on my Evo as well!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use the TomTom app and it works great. There is no subscription as you pay everything up front and TomTom says they will provide lifetime maps upgrades to app users, so it's a good investment.

And please don't get me started on the price, it's $50 now and I paid $100 when it first came out, so yeah it's a good deal.

Alternatively you can use your Android phone in your car just for navigation?

5. TheiPhoneChick thread starter macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

Thanks for that! No the price wouldn't be a problem if I used it all the time, but once every couple of months is not enough to justify the price for me. I can't use the Android without wifi since it is no longer on my sprint account.

6. ewils19 macrumors 6502

Waze is a pretty good free navigation app.
    It's user driven so you also get reports on where there's traffic, stalled cars on the shoulder, cops, etc. It also tells you when the reports were sent.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The only problem with the cheaper navigation apps are that the maps aren't saved on your phone, and they need to be streamed. This can burn through your data plan (but I guess you have unlimited data anyways). Additionally, if you are out of coverage, you won't have GPS with you.

I'd pay the $50 for an app that comes with the preloaded apps or even a "real" standalone GPS.

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I've used CoPilot Live Directions and it's pretty good. It's a little basic unless you pay for the "Live" features, but the free version is just fine for simple navigation. Unless you really need points of interest and the like, it might be your best bet...

It's also kind of nice because if you don't use a GPS often, but do want all the features, you can pat $2 for 30 days of full access (or $15 for a year). So you only need to pay when you need to, not every month, and not $50 at once.

(FWIW, I've seen the TomTom app on sale for $30, which is a good price imo).

9. buddybd macrumors 6502

How effective is Waze? I've been looking into the same thing as well. Didn't get a chance to use Waze yet.

Map Quest seems like a more traditional nav app, but I hope Waze works out for me, I like it's interface a lot better.

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I use Navfree here in the UK and it's very good. The US version is free or £0.69 for an ad free version via in-app purchase.

11. SonoViva macrumors 6502

SonoViva

This! Waze is so cool, I'm amazed it's free.

12. TheiPhoneChick thread starter macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

Thanks guys! I am going to look at Waze, already downloaded it and also MapQuest and see which one works best for me. If I end up needing a super nav app i will certainly try the other paid apps suggested here.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

personally for me Motion X GPS drive works well. same as you I mightuse it a couple times a month.

14. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Coming from Android, you will not find anything as good as Google Navigation for free. Waze is ok, but it frequently gives strange directions and doesn't look polished. I haven't tried Mapquest though...would love to hear some reviews

15. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

can't think of any less than $5 bucks.

I'm using NAVIGON and it's killer.

Only navigation app I ever used, and I love it.

16. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

You said you only need it for a few months? MotionX GPS is $2.99/month so that would be within your budget.

It's fantastic.

17. TheiPhoneChick thread starter macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

Navigon does look sick!! I may have to bite and pay the $30 for it.

18. ewils19 macrumors 6502

I used it two weekends ago on a road trip and i liked it alot. It has a great interface and I love that its userdriven so the reports are more up to date.

19. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Waze is the one with the goofy kiddy looking graphics I was talking about.

20. vietalogy macrumors 6502

21. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Navigon is great -- good directions, great spoken directions including street names. I usually keep it in my pocket and just stream the audio directions to my stereo over Bluetooth. For point-of-interest searches I strongly recommend using the built-in Google search rather than the included database. Google is much more comprehensive.

22. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I use Tom Tom also and every once in a while it's on sale, I paid $39.99 (or was in $34.99, i can't remember).

23. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

MotionX GPS Drive. $20yr for voice turn by turn but worth it. Best I've used.

24. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

+1

25. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Looks like its 10 a year right now... I just don't like paying yearly subscription fees... I want to get Tom Tom. Though Navigon looks good too.