Best netbook for the money?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bc008, Nov 27, 2009.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I was wondering what netbook would be the best for me. I want one for christmas, and my mom is probably going to get one for me and my brother for our main gift. we already have powerful desktop computers, so we only need the bare minimum web machine. What do you think would be the best? any online deals still going on today or cyber monday? thanks! :p

2. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

Are you trying to put OS X on it? Not sure why you'd be asking here otherwise...

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

If you're not trying to put OSX on it, then just get the cheapest one you can find. Pretty much all netbooks have the same internals. Most are Intel Atom processors, 160gb HD, and 1gb of RAM.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Because people come here all of the time asking silly questions. IE: What's wrong with them medically, what to do about a bully, whether they should ask a girl out or not, etc etc. So ... you can move along if you don't want to answer.

My answer is the Dell Mini 10V. At $329 ($300 on Dell's site a lot of the time) it is a great machine and can run OS X with pure ease should you wish to go that route.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have an Asus 1008ha and its a great little netbook. If you don't need super-portability, try the 1005ha which is cheaper. Asus netbooks come in Value and Premium versions. The value versions have lower res cameras, wireless g instead of n, no bluetooth, Atom n270 instead of n280 prcessors and lower capacity batteries. You should be able to find one for under $300.

As a general rule, look for a netbook with a 10" screen (smaller ones are almost unusable for me) and good size trackpads.

7. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

My signature has a netbook in it, so I'll count that as my answer. :p

8. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

MacBook Air - World's best 'Netbook'.

Seriously.

9. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

We have several at the office. My current votes goes to either:

1. The latest HP Unit
    2. The Toshiba
    3. The Dell Mini

10. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

thanks for all the quick responses. I do plan to put OS X on it eventually, but it isnt a deal breaker. MBA is out of the question :p Sub $300 would be best.

11. TSE macrumors 68030

HP Mini 311 if you want to come anywhere close to using serious Flash or some very light gaming.

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Then Dell mini 10V. Sometimes pops up under $300 at Dell.com

13. pcb macrumors member

pcb

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If $300 is your budget just get an iPod touch. Seriously, netbooks suck.

15. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

You must be new here, or new to computers. Some years ago, PCs ran on most Intel chips/chipsets and Macs were PowerPC based. When Apple switched to an Intel platform, it became possible, and easy, to put OS X on virtually any non Apple computer. I would venture to say thousands of Macrumors users know how to put OS X on a netbook/PC.

Anyway, to the OP, if you want a netbook, the MSI Wind is not only good for Windows and a good machine overall, it's probably the most popular netbook that Mac OS fans use.

16. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Dell netbooks have the worst keyboard (even though it's got big keys) and worst trackpad. The design is very "Dell", cheap looking/feeling and bad build quality. I suppose they tried to make up for it with designs, colors, etc but the netbook inside is just junk.

HP netbooks feel like a big rock, it's way too heavy for some reason and the trackpad is weird with the side left/right click buttons. The keyboard, also has big keys, but very hard to type on.

I don't like the Toshiba ones because the power button is awkwardly placed. Keyboard is average for netbooks and overall feels like it ripped off the designs of other netbooks and hastily slapped it together.

Either the Lenovo S10-2 or the Acer AspireOne AOD250. I really like the Acer (I have one) because of the solid build quality, really good keyboard and trackpad. It's really lightweight, compared to the HP, and the webcam is surprising good quality, even in low lighting conditions (I tested this on Asus, Acer, HP, and Lenovo netbooks). The design is the best I've seen on a $300 netbook (the more expensive HP w/ ION graphics is the best 'netbook' but it's over $300) and feels really nice. The top part that goes around the keyboard, trackpad, etc is one piece of metal.

17. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

What netbook runs OS X best? Wouldnt mind having one too if cheap enough.

18. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

The Lenovo, for price and quality, isn't bad. I have not tried out the Dells yet and they seem to have a mixed response.

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

MSI and HP I think. The Dell used to run OS X very nicely but they updated the internals so some hardware doesn't work properly under OS X. Same thing goes for the HP, I know the 1000 or 110 runs OS X really well, but not sure about the latest models.

20. mac2x macrumors 65816

I agree. That's what I'd get if I needed a superportable computer. It's actually got enough specs you could do more than just email, internet, and word processing if the need arose.

21. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I think most here believe the MSI Wind is best for OS X, but unless something has changed it's still not in the OP's under $300 dollar price point. The last one I heard of, the one that was most popular with OS X installation, was closer to $429 unfortunately. They have cheaper ones out now, but I liked the sturdy one I saw at Best Buy earlier this year. It put the Acer to shame and the Acer wasn't all that bad, just a little fragile.

22. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

23. kitch95 macrumors regular

kitch95

if you want to put os x on it my vote goes to the msi wind 10"- I have one and its reasonably easy to put os x in (leopard I have on mine) and is a great netbook. I would recommend getting the 6 cell battery becuase the standard 3 cell one is rubbbbbbbish.

24. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Yeah surfing the net on a tiny screen is a joy...why would you want a 10" one when you can have that little ipod screen? And having things like a keyboard and USB ports etc is just a burden.:rolleyes:

Seems if there is not an Apple product to fit a question people will try to force one into the use. If Apple makes a netbook then people will of course say netbooks are great then...but the Apple netbook would be better right? Geez.