iPad best non biased review of iPad air 2 by WSJ

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AliMacs, Oct 21, 2014.

1. AliMacs macrumors 6502

2. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Gotta love this folks :D

3. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

I shut it down when she was sitting on the toilet.

4. Angler macrumors regular

I think you should refuse to sign for it then you won't even have to send it back....

5. AliMacs thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll just return in store but not before I go to one and testr ou .

6. vgamedude macrumors 6502a

Saw this on yahoo and enjoyed it. I like the lady reviewing it haha, great video.

7. vmflapem macrumors 6502

Don't watch this review... if you're having trouble deciding between surface pro 3 and ipad air 2. Ahh I shouldn't have watched it :( Now I have to spend 1 more week trying to decide which one to buy.

8. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

That's when I started paying attention.

9. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

That's understandable.

However, I would suggest you wait for Broadwell chips.

The Surface Pro 3 is old tech. I owned one (Surface Pro 2) loved it, but sold it as Haswell is long in the tooth at this point.

And MS is slow about this. I wouldn't expect them to upgrade it for another 4 or 5 months.

Your move.

10. AliMacs thread starter macrumors 6502

What a deal breaker, this whole iPad Air 2 thing is just underwhelming for me :(

I would expect sun spider scores to be below 250ms - for my old MacBook Pro penryn 2.5GHz scores around 280ms in safari. And that is considered slow for me already.

The only other option I have is a surface pro 4 - next year perhaps. I cannot believe even with a triple core cpu, apple cannot get this thing to be better than a laptop using safari. This just blows :(

When my iPad air arrives, I'm going to the store and returning. Besides, every reviewer is spot on - the iPad is just the same stale iOS and apple needs to address this software wise. The hardware is fine, the software really sucks. No real multitasking, safari performance a tad better than ipad AIR, and worse of all the hardware is just underutilized. All that horsepower mounted on some hankook tires.

It may come close to an MBA 1.4GHz in performance, but seriously, that MBA can do so much more than an iPad and do it very well too. But tablets are the future, laptops are not.

11. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Just because a review is more critical doesn't make it less biased.

12. AliMacs thread starter macrumors 6502

Biased is when you point out the weaknesses and "issues" with the iPad and yet still end up giving scores of 95 (engadget), and 93 (verge.com).

When you have tablets like android tablets having "issues", you get scores below 80 no matter what bells and whistles it has.

let me point out as well:

* ipad air 2 has camera and was touted to be used as tablet photography but yet lacks a flash. Yet lacks OIS. yet lacks the image quality of iPhone 6 - only to save these trickle down features until iPad Air 4, 5, and 6. Margins, it's all about them margins.

* Laminated screen finally when competitors all use that a couple years ago already!

* RAM being 2GB - finally, but if all the apple apologists claim that 1GB was enough, why add 2GB when the resolution of the screen is the same. In fact, there is nothing different with the display - probably same panel, just optically bonded now and throw in some anti-reflection coating.

* CPU being triple core - this was underrated

* touchID - trickle down feature

* battery life being LESS

* thinner - who the F cares, when no one was complaining iPad AIR was not thin enough

* speakers are still same lame crap covered by hands when playing in landscape!

* Front camera still same terrible 720p

* Where is real multitasking? Triple core to do what? Facebook? Sure you can use pixelmator, but come on, what % of iPad users are going to use pixelmator on a tablet to edit photographs.

* UGLY UGLY UGLY iOS 7 littered garbage all over iPad's real estate. 9.7" of nothing but iPod style UI. Where is the innovation to allow changing of the layout of the UI? I have a beautiful background and yet I can't even see it cause icons are all over it. Where are landscape wide scrolling backgrounds like the competitors?

Overall, this is major hardware introduction but you know they are testing this for the next iPad device called the iPad Pro (13") - Makes zero sense to throw in 3 core CPU, quad GPU, 2GB ram and run the exact same iPad as last years.

This is truly a test for what is to come in 2015. The more I think about these lackluster software issues, the more I am geared towards returning my unopened ipad air 2. I'm just sick of being milked by apple. It's always annoying to have them spoon feed you pieces of steak one year at a time because it's like they think you are a fool to keep coming back for the whole steak. I'm going to vote with my wallet this time and tell apple to stop the excuses and really make the iPad tablet stand out - enough for me to warranty spending so much money on it.

13. cababah macrumors 68000

So, knowing most of this, you bought one anyway? What were you expecting? :confused:

14. AliMacs thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple magic dude. What do you think? Why would anyone buy an apple product - they (apple) don't tell you the specs you need to know - look at the pages and pages of threads regarding how much ram it has. Jesus, it's pathetic. So everyone has to order one without even knowing how it performs. Only apple can do that with any of their products - but hell to the no, I'm not going to fall into this sheep category. I'm speaking with my wallet this time. Enough is enough.

I'm expected apple to make an iPad, not a 9.7" iPod AGAIN FOR THE 6th YEAR IN A ROW.

15. Jawnathin macrumors 6502

Hankook RS3s are pretty good. Among the best street tires you can buy and way better than your average street tire.

16. cababah macrumors 68000

Yeah but who forced you to pre-order one? You could have oh I don't know waited until it came out to make your decision. I just don't follow the logic of blind pre-ordering.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

So they did the same thing for 5 years -- why did you expect this year to be any different?

18. tx2005 macrumors regular

I'm assuming this rant is based off of somebody looking to upgrade from an iPad Air to an Air 2.

I'll say this, as somebody who still uses an iPad 2, I'm thinking about upgrading to an Air 2. It will be a MASSIVE upgrade for me.

On top of that, I feel like the Air 2 will be a good future proof device like the iPad 2 was (3.5 years and it still has pretty solid support and ran up to iOS 7 pretty well IMO).

19. ThePuff macrumors member

It's refreshing to hear from a critic of ANYTHING that isn't smarmy and snide.

7/10. Would let her review for me again.

20. addictzz macrumors 6502

I don't understand TS really. What's your expectation for iPad or tablet in general? and what do you use it for? You are basically scoffing every improvement that iPad Air 2 has down to the extreme level.

Or yeah, maybe you're trying to convince yourself not to upgrade since you already has an Air and tempted to get Air 2.