best (non .Mac) way to backup large iMovies to DVD

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Hello,

I have tried Disco, but somehow, some files in the package seemed to be missing after a test run (burn + extraction).

baiscally, the only thing I had in the package was the media sub-directory. note that I copied the first disk directely, then used show package to copy the rest from INSIDE the .iMovie file, in order to avoid replacing the " file" with another incomplete version.

I might have missed something in the configuration of my backup tool, though. I might have to retry with a small file and CDs, just to be sure.

So my main question is: what tools to use you to copy iMovies to multiple DVDs?

Thanks!

bmcgonag

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2007
Texas
Hello,

I have tried Disco, but somehow, some files in the package seemed to be missing after a test run (burn + extraction).

baiscally, the only thing I had in the package was the media sub-directory. note that I copied the first disk directely, then used show package to copy the rest from INSIDE the .iMovie file, in order to avoid replacing the " file" with another incomplete version.

I might have missed something in the configuration of my backup tool, though. I might have to retry with a small file and CDs, just to be sure.

So my main question is: what tools to use you to copy iMovies to multiple DVDs?

Thanks!
Is it that your iMovie is too large to fit on one DVD, or that you want to burn the same file over and over to DVD to distribute?

If the latter, then export the iMovie to iDVD, get your menus setup, and then do File>>Save as .img

Then use dic utility, or Burn, or Toast to burn as many as you want.

If the former, not sure.

Brian

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
If you have the diskspace, you can make a dmg file with your iMovie project copied into it. Then there is a terminal command to chop it into bits that you specify, let's say 4GB so that you burn it onto separate DVDs. Then if you ever need it, you can run the same command to stitch the pieces together to get the original dmg back. I cannot remember the command right now, but if you are interested, I can find out once I get home.

chuckiehina

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2007
Toast it?

Use toast, save it as a data file (instead of a movie) and then let Toast span it across as many DVD as needed.