Best of both Worlds Android and Ipad 2. No fan boys allowed..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marine0816, Mar 20, 2011.

1. marine0816, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011

marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

I really wanted the xoom but the initial price was and still is a joke. So I decided to give the iPad 2 a try, and boy am I impressed with the overall fluidity of the OS. Most major sites like espn, CNN, vimeo all work without flash on the iPad flawlessly. The quanity and quality of apps kills android, apps like the daily, I am t pain app, netflix and even the exclusive march madness app are so sweet. I have been using the home sharing through my iTunes and boy is it a luxury. This sudden iPad love have got me thinking if I should spring for an iphone 5 or 6 when they come out with the slighty larger screen. the only thing my evo would have over the iPhone is the widgets, navigation and the voice search functions.. But this might be simple phase cause I had an iPhone 3g and it just didn't work for me.. But anyone with a similar experience?

Update; I rooted my evo so I now have free wifi tether, no need for iphone.

2. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

I agree. But I have trouble using any phone after my iPhone 4. Amazing

3. bobTX10 macrumors member

I have an Evo 4g as well with my iPad 2. I will never switch to iphone when it comes to my cell phone. Android is just too good to me. To me, the only great advantage about the iphone is the apps and thats why I got the ipod touch to fill that void haha. I just rooted my evo to get free wifi tethering to my ipad and it works flawlessly. This is just my preference though.

4. bigmikeyp macrumors regular

bigmikeyp

I've recently gone the other way, from having every iPhone since launch, I decided to swap my iPhone 4 (due to number of dropped calls) for a Nexus S.

The Nexus S is ok, but it's nothing compared to the iPhone. I'll be back in line come June for the iPhone 5.

5. elan123 macrumors 6502

I agree with you on this... android is nice.

6. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

im the same way. i got my Evo not knowing much about android, but i fell in love with it. i have a touch, ipad, and even an iphone (that i dont use) and couldn't imagine being without my android device. the iphone is a great gadget but i've got devices that can do pretty much the same things, so its really the best of both worlds.

7. fertilized-egg, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011

fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

To give a different perspective, I'm more of "putting up with it" mode with my (fully rooted and loaded with the latest XDA ROMs) Galaxy S Vibrant. I've gotten it cheap and so was my plan so I have no complaint but in general, I just find little usability issues keep bugging me.

Then again, I was coming over from WinMo and Symbian so the whole openness thing didn't impress me much - file system? modding? side loading? I've had them all already - and I find myself often using my iPod Touch tethered instead on the go.

It has its strengths and works well as a hot spot, but given choice based on the same price and carrier plan, I'd much rather get an iPhone, not to mention the "quality feeling in hand" factor of the iPhone is so much better than most of the Android phones IMHO.

8. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Well I just rooted my Evo using revoked and now I'm no longer thinking about an iPhone.. Gotta love free tethering.

9. Bigchris macrumors member

I love my Evo, it's a great phone. And I love my iPad 2.. The best of both worlds, lol... :D

10. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

That's something that keeps me from moving to another platform too. I personally prefer the iOS, WebOS and even Windows Phone 7 over Android but to get free tethering on my carrier my only choice is Android unless I go back to an old Windows Mobile phone.

11. Bigchris macrumors member

I do miss the notifications from WebOS.. A lot of potential with the OS

12. D33170 macrumors newbie

Wow I'm surprise how many people here also have an ipad that is tethering off their Evo. I too enjoy my Evo and can't imagine living without an Android phone. There's so much customization you could do with Android OS, however, I think the iPad 2 is the best tablet device you can get, IMO. I also like to say I have best of both worlds. :)

13. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Good choice. I think one iOS device is enough--its fantastic but does get a little bit boring after a year or so.

14. ShadowXOR macrumors regular

I can't stand Android personally. But an iPhone and iPad felt like too much overlap to me. I just don't think I'm a tablet guy, I stuck with the iPhone and took back the iPad.

15. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

MatthewStorm

I tether my ipad2 to my rooted EVO on 4G. Super speedy. Love my EVO.

16. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I cannot stand iPhone, but I love iPad. And with Evo, 4G free tethering, I think I have a great combo. And with new EVO coming out in coming months, I couldn't be happier.

17. ShadowXOR macrumors regular

The iPhone is a little iPad.

18. Meanee macrumors 6502a

REALLY? You opened my eyes! :rolleyes:

And for me, iPhone is an inadequate as a phone. I am not making phone calls on iPad, or turn to it when I need quick info on something (weather/Facebook/Navigation). Tablet is a tablet, phone's a phone.

19. bobTX10 macrumors member

This should be called the best of both worlds thread of how we use our android phone and iPad together! Haha

20. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Done

21. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I'm using a nexus s and iPad 2 and it's a great combo. I still keep my iPod touch around when I need a quick hulu/Netflix fix where space is an issue. Hopefully those apps come to android soon

22. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

Yeah why argue android vs apple? Just buy whats good.

23. Meanee macrumors 6502a

They are working on Netflix for Android. There are few phones running it already. According to Netflix, it won't be available on all phones, due to some DRM issues. No idea on Hulu, however...

24. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

I love both my Nexus One on Gingerbread and iPad. I also had a brand new iPhone 4 but it just doesn't compare to Nexus One on so many levels. The only thing better on iPhone 4 is the amazing screen. Other than that, there is no doubt both OS are the best ones on the market now.