Best option 3GS running 3.1.2 to get to 4.0.1

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ravensfan1996, Aug 15, 2010.

1. ravensfan1996 macrumors newbie

I currently have a jailbroken (redsnow) 3gs running 3.1.2 Id like to upgrade to 4.0.1

Ive never rejailbroken an iphone before and have some questions. I was just about to upgrade my phone to 4.0.1 last week and use jailbreakme.com to jailbreak it, but now with 4.0.2 out that wont work.

I was also looking at using snowbreeze. Ive d/led that and also the 4.0.1 ispw file. Will that still work for me now?

Also what happens when you use something like snowbreeze on an already jailbroken phone? When it is done is everything the same on the iphone? or do you need to redo all your categories folders etc...and re d/l your cydia apps etc...

Thanks for any info

2. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

I'm in the same boat here. My gf has 3.1.3 and wants to upgrade to 4.0.1 so we can jb/unlock and sell on ebay. She just got the ip4.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You obviously have an old bootrom 3GS. You should use a customer firmware to upgrade. Search Iclarify for the procedure. Do not upgrade through itunes because you will get the latest 4.0.2 which is not presently jailbreakable. The other alternative is if you have saved SHSH blobs then you can still upgrade to 4.0.1 and then jailbreak with jailbreakme.com.

The customer IPSW is the better route for you.

4. ravensfan1996 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im a newbie to the lingo, i was able to jailbreak but thats about all i know so far.

If i dont know what SHSH blobs are i guess i havent saved them...what exactly is that?

(just looked it up) When i go into my Cydia it says "this device has SHSH's on file for iphone os/ios 3.1.2, 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1" So does that mean I can just use jailbreakme.com?

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Okay here is a quick intro. Apple started signing the software with the 3GS. They also introduced checks which prevented you downgrading to a previous version of software. The version presently being signed today by apple is 4.0.2. This means you can only restore to that version which is now unjailbreakable.

The SHSH blobs enable you to get around the apple procedure and restore to previous version of software. What has happened in your case is that when you did the first JB on your phone Cydia saved your SHSH blobs and also every version of update since that time. The way you restore to a previous version using Saurik is that you change your host file on the computer before doing the restore, this change points your computer to Saurik instead of apple and it takes care of faking out the apple procedure to enable you to get old version of the software from apple.

You are now in the fortunate position of being able to restore to any version of FW available for your phone. Since you are going to sell the phone, I would say the easy procedure would be to change your host file and update to official 4.0.1 and then use jailbrakme.com to jailbreak it.

You really want to read up on the procedure properly because unless you change the host file the update to 4.0.1 will fail with a message saying this device is not entitled to the version.

Hope this all makes sense.

6. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

A much easier way is to use Tiny Umbrella instead of modifying your /etc/hosts/ file.
    Here's a screenshot of me upgrading a friend's 3GS from 3.1.3 to IOS 4.0.1 the other day:

Attached Files:

7. ravensfan1996 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually Im not the same guy that posted he was selling, im keeping mine. So for a novice like me, whats the easiest way to get 4.0.1 on my phone to be abel to use the jailbreakme.com? the jailbreakme.com is pretty easy once ive done that. Thanks for the help.

8. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The custom IPSW update path is futureproofing. You will be able to jailbreak newer version of software earlier that others and will not be waiting around on the DEV team for new Jailbreaks.

The Jailbreakme path is quick and easy.

For example when 4.1 is released it will have a new baseband. If you use the Custom IPSW path now you will eventually be able to upgrade the firmware to a custom 4.1 and not upgrade the baseband so you can retain the UL. If you use jailbreakme you have to stay with 4.0.1 until new tools are release to both JB and UL.

Edit: To use jailbreakme both methods work either change host file and update through Saurik servers or use Tiny umbrella which does the Fake out for you. To use Tiny Umbrella you need the SHSH files on your PC, you have to get them from Saurik. The one thing to note is that neither method will work unless you update your versions of itunes to either 9.2 or 9.2.1 which is the latest.

9. ravensfan1996 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry to bother you more but how do I change my host file thru saurk servers? Guess i really need a step by step guide since im a novice. the first jailbreak was so easy and everything has worked great, just some apps now tell me i need 4 or 3.1.2 so wanted to upgrade.

10. Flyinb macrumors member

Unless I've missed something go to Modmyi and download the 4.0.1 firmware, then plug your iphone into computer and either right click if using windows or shift or alt (i forgot) the restore button then point to new downloaded 4.0.1 file..let it do its think then activate with itunes, then jailbreakme.com. I just did the same thing to my sons iphone.

So as long as you are not trying to downgrade firmware you will be fine.

11. ravensfan1996 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks thats what i needed!

12. janekua macrumors newbie

I want to upgrade from 3.1.2 to 4.0.1
    I've done a little research, and almost done everything to do a safe upgrade...but i need a lil bit help.
    I have 3gs on 3.1.2 jailbraked and unlocked, old bootroom, and done saving SHSH with tinyumbrella. I must say that when I start cydia it doesen't tells me anything about do i have SHSH, and used tinyumbrella 4.1.11 (newest), SHSH are saved on my comp (everyone to 4.1), and the files are around 60kb and 63kb.
    The last host is ( here's copy paste from the last lines)

# 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    #127.0.0.1 gs.apple.com

(have not modified anything, i think tiny umbrella has done everything here)

I have downloaded iPhone2,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore it is about 377 MB. What should I do now? Can someone tell me the right steps to upgrade to 4.0.1?
    Thanks
    P.S. I must have unlocked iPhone.