Best option for brand new iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JarScott, Sep 19, 2013.

1. JarScott macrumors 68040

JarScott

So as I'm sure a lot of you are, I'm hoping to my hands on a 5s! But my question is, what's the best option for setting it up? Should I set up as a new iPhone and manually reinstall my apps and stuff in the App Store or should I restore from my iCloud backup and have it just as everything was on my 4? I'd heard that restoring new phones from backups can often bring back bugs and things from your old phone? Is this true? What would you recommend as being the BEST option?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Restore from backup.

If you later have problems, then do a restore as new.

3. Mr.C macrumors 601

I've always restored from a backup and I've never had any problems from doing so. Besides setting up as new is way too much hassle.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I know its a pain, but I'd start from scratch. When I got my new iPad, I brought over all the garbage that bogged it down from the previous device. When I finally set it up as new, everything worked great.

Look at it this way, the process will help you get acquainted with iOS7. :)

5. terzinator macrumors 6502

I wouldn't think restoring from a backup would put garbage in there... just settings and apps, right?

You'll still have to sync it up with iTunes, so you have all the apps associated with your Apple ID... You'll still have to go in and set up your mail config, etc...

I'd restore from backup for sure. (And then like above, if you have issues, then go ahead and restore as new.

6. blhoward2 macrumors 6502

There were known issues in the past restoring from a backup. For example, restoring from the 3G to the 3GS resulting in battery drain because of a hidden setting regarding the proximity sensor. From the 4 to 4S, some people had network issues after restoring until they reset their network settings.

Setting up as new is a pain but it really isn't that bad. Especially if you organize your apps in iTunes.

7. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Setting up as new also allows you to see what apps and other stuff you really need/want and what you don't. I gained almost 3 gb on my iPad when updating it to ios7 last night.