Best option for me + External monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cupcake1986, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Cupcake1986 macrumors newbie

Hi all.

Now I know what the 13" rmbp is going to cost, I decided NOT to go for a retina model. Nor 13" nor 15". The 13" is to expensive for only 128 GB SDD, I do have got that space now on the harddisk, but I would like to get al least 256 GB, but then the bridge to the 15" RMPB is very small... And the having dedicated GPU and Quad core. But again. Not going for a RMBP

My current 2008 white macbook. 2.1 core2duo, 4 GB RAM wil be getting replaced. But now the decision is harder then ever.

My options are:

13" MPB 2.9 i7 + 8GB RAM
    13" MBA 2.0 i7 + 8GB RAM 256 SDD

With this in the near future combined with a 27" monitor.
    Can't really decide between the Dell U2711 or the Thunderbolt display

OR

A 15" MBP 2.3 + 8GB RAM + in the near future a new Ipad (mini)

At the moment I have got a Ipad 1st gen.

Now my questions:

1. Does a dedicated GPU makes a difference when using a 27 inch monitor? I am not intending in daisy chaining it, only one monitor.
    2. Apple thunderbolt display will be easier to connect then the Dell, but how hard is it?
    3. For photograpy editing, whould you choose the Apple or the Dell and why?
    4. Are these monitors easy to callibrate?
    5. Out of my options would you choose for the 13" + monitor or the 15" + Ipad?

Imac is not an option as I do work on the road as well, but most at the time @ home. But I must say, the new models do look very very nice

I use the laptop for photo editing (Aperture 2) Internet and word/excel

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Be careful with the comparison. The TD is a sRGB (narrow gamut) monitor combined with a Macbook docking station. The Dell U2711 is a wide gamut (as in Adobe RGB) monitor that is not a thunderbolt docking station.

To me unless you specifically need wide gamut (if you don't know, you don't need it)....and you also have a Mac laptop,....go TD. If you have to have wide gamut or don't have a Mac, go with Dell, Viewsonic, Asus or one of the other vendors of 27" IPS panels.

3. Cupcake1986 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. dragonev macrumors member

Depending on what you are looking for. Mobility? - than Air is your perfect machine. Performance? - than, of course, Pro.

I own 13" MBP from early 2011 and recommend you to go for SSD before buying any other upgrades. Even with my lousy 4Gb RAM I have never experienced any problem for 1.5 years.

P.s. Although I am likely to switch to rMBP 15" soon.