best os to use in terms of windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by j2048b, Feb 3, 2012.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

i see alot of people running into issues with windows 7, and wonder if xp would be a better option?

i have not installed windows onto my mac pro yet... but want to in order to get rid of an older ibm server i have been using for windows.

so is xp absolete?

i am running snow leo, but also have lion on a different drive,

will xp even run under lion? or do you need to install 7?

thanks

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Unless you can retrieve the drivers through other means, XP is not supported on the newer Macs with Lion (is not support through the bootcamp installer). I have no issues with 7 it is just a matter of finesse and correct setup and the it will run fine and without issues. I actually prefer 7 to XP as I like the added features and compatibility with newer hardware and software, while still maintaining backward compatibility for older stuff.

3. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

No. Go with Win7.

Absolute? No. Obsolete? Yes.

4. wpotere Guest

Win 7 is one of the best yet, not sure what problems you are referring to...

5. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the replys guys! windows 7 it is,

how hard is it to install? do i need other discs from my mac pro?

thanks

any tutorials showing how to install windows?

and how do i get windows internet connection? can i use the 2nd nic in my mac pro and dedicate it to windows and just plug it into my switch?

thanks

6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

There's a PDF you can download with Bootcamp instructions here:

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

You can also print this out when using Bootcamp assistant on your Mac - there's an option to print the user guide.

Installing Windows is pretty easy. If your running Lion, you don't need any of your install media from your Mac. You burn the Windows drivers to a blank cd or put them on a USB stick during the Bootcamp setup process.

On Snow Leopard, you used one of the gray install discs with Bootcamp when installing Windows.

The most important thing to note is do not adjust your drives partitions using the Windows installer. Only use the installer to format the partition "Bootcamp" during install. This is spelled out in the guide.

Windows will use your primary NIC for internet access, you don't need a dedicated NIC just for Windows.

7. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

awesome, thanks!

since i have an 08 mac pro, i can somehow enable ahci into the remaining logic board sata ports correct? not sure if ill ever get around to doing this but it is another option so i can throw in 2 extra drives for windows.