Best outlet for attempting to trade my iMac for an 8800GS model?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattcube64, Oct 19, 2008.

1. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Hi guys! I got a good deal on the iMac in my sig that I just couldn't pass up... However, with as many games as I play, I'd *really* like to have the 8800GS card instead of my 2600.

I've checked out the refurb store, and eBay, as well as Craigslist, and prices for the iMac 3.06 (or 2.8 w/ upgrade) with the 8800GS seem to be right around $1700-$2000.

I'd really like to not take much money out of my pocket; I've upgraded the RAM in my iMac to 4GBs, and it has Applecare until September 2011. I would think there'd be someone out there who would rather have those two things than the 8800, but I can't seem to find anyone.

What would you guys do?

2. G5power macrumors 6502

A realistic price on Craigslist would probably get some interest. As mentioned the eBay route is worth investigating. What have completed auctions on eBay been getting for your model.

If you got a real good deal with purchase (bookstore closeout) and a free iPod plus the discounted academic Applecare price then you can afford to sell it at a better price then people who paid full retail for that model. If you are trying to in effect make money on selling then it may be more difficult.

If you price your iMac to high and don't sell it then you will go down the path of riding the value of your iMac down further.

3. mattcube64 thread starter macrumors 65816

mattcube64

I guess, technically, I'm trying to make money off of it... However, not money in the sense of cash in my pocket...

What I'd really like to do, is trade my 2.8 w/ 4GB and Applecare for a 2.8 w/ 8800 with only 2GBs and NO Applecare. Sure, if I had to take a *little* money out of pocket, that'd be fine... but I'd think the trade could potentially benefit both parties, since I'll eventually be buying AC and more RAM again.

Does that even make sense, lol? :p

4. G5power macrumors 6502

I can see what you would like to do, but I'm not sure how you can get there. Certainly not as a "trade".

Your best chance is probably to sell your current system first and that admitably can be a hassle.

I have the same model iMac as you and it is very nice computer. But like any computer it is going to do nothing but slide down in value.

You might try listing it on the local Columbia craigslist and just see if you can generate any interest.