Best place to buy a MacBook pro…

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kmoll3ster, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Kmoll3ster macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

So I'm in the market for a MacBook pro (15 inch preferably). I would like to know of any places/ stores anyone has come across with the best prices. I have a budget of roughly $1000-$1200 and under. I've looked at the apple refurb. store and that's fine, but the prices change very often. I can wait up to a year from now before I would really need it.
    Please and thank you!!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

They are going to be pretty much the same at every LEGITIMATE seller.

3. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

When I have tried to price shop macs, I've found very little difference from one store to another. Maybe a $100. What I HAVE found, though, are package deals like a free or almost free printer or carrying case and things like that. MacMall is very good for those deals. I have an Apple sales rep for my business who is supposed to give me price deals and he always tells me there's very little wiggle room on the computers but there are opportunities on the extras people buy to go with them. You could save money by ordering online where they won't charge you sales tax.

4. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

If you live near a Microcenter they have the 13" MBP for $1000 plus tax. I got mine from there and it was a good experience.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You're probably not going to find a 15" for $1000, except in the refurb store.

6. Kmoll3ster thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yeah, that's what I assumed. Thank you though.
    Unfortunately if I can't get one so cheaply I may have to… buy a pc… which will suck and not last though school

7. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

You could go on Craigslist and look for someone who is upgrading their computer and selling their 15". Many people seem to sell their computers only a year old so they always have the latest thing. Apple also offers financing to spread out payments.

Does your school offer special pricing for students?

Do you need a Macbook Pro or would a macbook or air do just as well?

8. SidBala macrumors 6502a

9. Kmoll3ster thread starter macrumors newbie

No, my school doesn't offer anything like that that I know of.
    And the main reason I want a MacBook pro is for the larger screen, I refuse to spend $1000+ for a 13 inch screen that I can hardly read from.
    But I'm not so up for craigslist due to the high rate of scams. And I don't want a $100 macook that won't work properly, that's why I was leaning towards the refurb store, because it's legit and comes with apple care.