Best place to buy a refurbished laptop/desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dcschwartz, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Dcschwartz macrumors newbie

I want to buy a refurbished mac (desktop or laptop) for a 6 year old to use for a few years, but I really have no idea where to even look. I only want to spend a few hundred dollars and am wary of ebay. All the refurbished macs on apple.com were very expensive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple only sells its refurbished products on the Apple website, and not in any Apple stores. Other vendors may claim items are refurbished, but many of them are simply used. For your purposes, a used Mac may be a much better choice.

3. Dcschwartz thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, used then. What is the best place to buy a reliable, used mac? Thanks.

4. jljue macrumors regular

I haven't had many issues with used Macs from eBay. In fact, I usually buy ones that are broken with some minor issue that is easy to fix with parts as my daily use laptop, but I have on occasion bought one that has me sending it off to repair the logic board. I will use them for a while until I either decide that I feel like upgrading to something newer or someone in my family decides that they want my current MacBook Pro. It's more like a fun little hobby for me that stems from my teenage years of building and repairing PC's for my summer job in the mid-to-late 90's.

Getting back on track, there are some good deals to be had if you want a good used one. Some people even have a little bit of AppleCare left, if you feel that a fairly current Apple Store refurb is either too expensive or too new for the child.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I personally would go with craiglists over ebay. With craigslist you get to inspect the computer before exchanging money and its a face to face transaction. Less risk of receiving a box of rocks in the mail.

Plus the pricing is typically less then ebay as well