Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
My MBP's charger is become damaged, the wire covering has peeled off leaving exposed wires. Apple's site is full of reviews of other people having the same issues but the genius bar fobbed me off and refused to replace it. Since it looks like the official Apple charger (that costs £65 no less) will just break again anyway, I have been looking at third party options, but all the ones listed on Amazon are full of bad reviews too, even ones saying the chargers damaged the laptop itself, and the ones on eBay are probably all from the same factory in China as the dodgy Amazon ones.

So does anyone know of a decent third party charger I can buy for my 2012 MBP? Thanks.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Honestly I'd stick with Apple chargers. The fact that people are having issues with the 3rd party units is a good enough reason for me to stay away.

*edit*

Also keep in mind that Apple doesn't license the MagSafe interface to anyone so all 3rd party devices are using cables cut from official MagSafe adapters.

patpatbut

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
Best place to buy a replacement charger (in the UK)?

I have an unused genuine MagSafe charger 85w if u are interested( three MacBook Pro at home so leaving 1 unused) pm me an offer if you are interested. :)

Pat

Last edited:

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
No worries anymore, the charger from my old 2008 MacBook works in my 2012 MBP fine. When that breaks I'll just dump my MBP and buy a PC. Apple are clowns with their customer service and accessories these days. Chargers that leave bare wires exposed and customer service reps that blame the user and leave them with dangerous faulty goods. Not a company I will be supporting in the future.

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Another thing to consider: Call AppleCare. I had a Genius and an Apple Store manager refuse to replace a MagSafe A/C adapter once. I called AppleCare from the Apple store, filed a complaint about the Genius and manager and requested a warranty replacement. The manager was pretty pissed. The replacement showed up 2 days later along with a pre-paid shipping label to return the defective unit.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Another thing to consider: Call AppleCare. I had a Genius and an Apple Store manager refuse to replace a MagSafe A/C adapter once. I called AppleCare from the Apple store, filed a complaint about the Genius and manager and requested a warranty replacement. The manager was pretty pissed. The replacement showed up 2 days later along with a pre-paid shipping label to return the defective unit.

I'll try that, thanks. I'll definitely file a complaint about that Genius Bar anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.