Best place to buy a rMBP and applecare question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by greenbean6, Jul 4, 2012.

1. greenbean6 macrumors newbie

I'm starting graduate school in a little over the month and need to buy a new laptop. My old one wasn't an Apple and for the last 3 years freezes/crashes all the time. My sister has a macbook and has had zero problems with hers so I've pretty much decided I'm going with apple. Since I am a student I get the education discount and I want at least a 15" screen and 8 mb of RAM. The rMBP is only $200 more dollars than the cheapest 15" with the ram upgrade so it makes sense to go with that one.

My questions are...

1. Where do you think I should by the rMBP from? Should I get it from Apple for $1999 and a $100 itunes giftcard (that I really won't use), Best Buy if I can get them to price match and give me a $100 best buy gift card (that i can use to buy a superdrive) or is there someplace else with a better deal I don't know of.

2. I heard somewhere that if you buy applecare with your discover card that it adds another year onto it so you essentially get 4 years instead of 3. I can't seem to find any proof of this though so does anyone know if this is true? Also, what are your thoughts on a squaretrade warranty instead?

thanks.

2. itsmrjon macrumors regular

You should buy it through your university, especially if you are an RA/TA or have any other departmental duties as a grad student. University of Illinois actually has an Apple reseller store on campus (where the deals are typically better than at the actual store). Many universities/colleges/departments have contracts/incentives with companies such as apple.

Look at that route first... If that is not an option, then use the other best deal through this thread.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Applecare is 1 year by default and extendable to 3 years only. Whatever Discover card offers is not true Applecare.