Best place to buy AppleCare for a late 08 MBP in the UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by loztheguru, Jul 29, 2009.

1. loztheguru macrumors member

Im toying with the idea of buying applecare for my Macbook Pro, which was bought in November 2008. As the warranty is running out soon im trying to decide if its worth it. £273 direct from apple seems very expensive.

Ive seen it on amazon for about £185 but thats still more than i'd like to pay. Its on ebay for £50 but I'm 99% sure thats a scam, so I wont be purchasing there.

Anyone got any more tips for me?

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Buying AppleCare off eBay isn't always a scam.

Also, you won't find AppleCare cheaper from a "secure" source than Amazon. £185 is a good investment for a valid warranty that will ensure your laptop lives to 3 years.

3. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Amazon's third party sellers are fairly reputable.

Also, as long as you get an AppleCare box, you are guaranteed AppleCare (if the number was accepted by Apple). If any problems arise down the road, you can show the box as proof of purchase.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ebay can be very good indeed.....

I just bought Applecare for my 15" MBP from ebay tonight.

€105 for the Applecare - applecare registration number emailed to me within 1 hour and laptop registered online with Applecare shortly after.

Buying from Apple €349

I just saved nearly €250

Out of interest here's the auction. He did have 10 available, now he lists 9.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....sPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:GB:1123#ht_931wt_1167

6. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

That looks like a good deal but i'm wary of sellers who only send codes, as opposed to the full packaging.

7. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

the £185 will get the OP only 2 years (plus the original one year).

8. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Hmm, and 2+1 is? :)

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Fair enough. But as I bought one yesterday from him I can confirm It worked for me. I got the email code. Then simply went onto

https://selfsolve.apple.com/Agreements.do

You have to have an Apple ID.

Logged in. Asked me for the No of the Applecare. Did that, and it asked for the MBP serial. Inputted that and then it asks if I bought a Display, said continue and that was it. Registration complete.

15 minutes later..

So yeah I'm delighted in saving €250

Besides if your paying by Paypal your not only covered by them and your CC company - hence I wasn't too worried about ordering via ebay.

But we all take our choices, and as warranty is as much about piece of mind, as it is about protecting your computer - then get it from anywhere you feel comfortable....

:):):)

10. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

If you read the other thread, you'll note that a large percentage of the problems people are having with eBay purchases is that Apple is asking to see the box when a claim is made, and they can't produce the SERIAL NUMBER off the box (which isn't the same as the registration code.)

You really need to have the box in order to be SURE that the coverage will actually work when you need it. Apple has been revoking plans after a year or even two years when people can't produce the box.

11. loztheguru thread starter macrumors member

OO cex, Good call OllyW. Dont suppose you know if the (S) means sealed?

MacRumourUser: I suppose if I had the benefit of CC protection i'd feel a bit better, but as its a code PayPal wont help should you come to make a claim.

12. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

the first year comes free with the purchase. so the £185 will only get him 2 years not 3 ;)

13. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

True, but that's not what geoffreak said, he said Applecare will ensure your laptop lives to 3 years, not Applecare lasts to 3 years :)

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If the item the vendor is selling regardless of what it is ... does not work / or is not as described then you have a valid claim.

As for AppleCare requiring your serial from the box. I have never been asked for such once my Applecare was registered, all I needed was my registration confirmation number, and the computers serial. I have had many macs repaired and replaced via AppleCare over the last 10 years. Maybe AppleCare is treated differently in other territories, but in Ireland, as I say.. never been asked for box information, except at the time of initial registration & not subsequent claims.