Best Place to buy Applecare Warranties at Discount

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
Used to be able to snap these up cheap on Ebay. Looks like apple is cracking down as they are very scarce and only a few bucks off.
any ideas?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
he sends you the serial number and mails you the box. is that not good enough?
sounds like he gets it from a reseller

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
No, unless he sends you a valid proof of purchase as well. Otherwise you cannot register the code.
that makes no sense. if you have the box, you have the proof of purchase with the serial number. a receipt doesn't have anything on it that you could enter into a field for apple
in any event, b&h looks like the best bet.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
that makes no sense. if you have the box, you have the proof of purchase with the serial number. a receipt doesn't have anything on it that you could enter into a field for apple
Box is not a proof of purchase.

Keep Your Sales Receipt and Proof of Coverage in a Safe Place

Please put your product's sales receipt, and if applicable, AppleCare Proof of Coverage document in a safe place. You may be asked to provide a copy of these if there is any question as to your product's eligibility for service coverage under the warranty or AppleCare service contract. When seeking service, Apple may request that you submit proof of purchase information to verify eligibility for warranty service, even if you have already registered your product. Your warranty is the same whether or not you register.
If the estimated expiration date of your Telephone Technical Support, Limited Warranty, or AppleCare agreement for your serial number is incorrect, please contact us. You will need to send your proof-of-purchase to Apple so that we can update your purchase date. A sales receipt with the receipt number, product description, original date of purchase, price, and reseller details constitutes a valid proof of purchase. Certain other forms of proof of purchase may be acceptable as well.
http://support.apple.com/kb/he44

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
You're right, it doesn't... but his advice is correct and those are Apple's rules.

Awjvail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think you can get it for like $299 (for 15/17inch) from B&H photo

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
and you enter what from the receipt exactly?
To register, you enter nothing from the receipt.

If AppleCare has any questions about the authenticity of your purchase, they may ask to see the receipt.

If you can't provide a receipt (from a valid reseller, IIRC), they can invalidate the remaining portion of the service plan, without any refund to you.

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2007
To register, you enter nothing from the receipt.

If AppleCare has any questions about the authenticity of your purchase, they may ask to see the receipt.

If you can't provide a receipt (from a valid reseller, IIRC), they can invalidate the remaining portion of the service plan, without any refund to you.

This has happened before, if you want to take the time to read through the other eBay/AppleCare threads on here.
well im gonna get it from BH-- they are the cheapest anyway.

That makes more sense since there is nothing that you CAN enter in from receipt. but the fact that they would invalidate it---when it's their own distribution channel they lost control of is pretty amazing.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
That is amazing, but what's REALLY amazing (to me, anyway) is the amount of shops that popped up on eBay selling fake AppleCare registration numbers (after someone obviously cracked the algorithm that generates them). It was a full on industry for awhile there. Some folks had to have made hundreds of thousands of dollars off that scam!!! :eek:

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That makes more sense since there is nothing that you CAN enter in from receipt. but the fact that they would invalidate it---when it's their own distribution channel they lost control of is pretty amazing.
In the past there were very cheap eBay AppleCares where the seller just emailed you the code. At least some of those were not legit codes (generated by key generators). A box is not good enough because you can easily get a picture of the box using Google and then send that. A receipt is something you cannot find from Google.

Horney

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Bit of a thread revival I'm afraid but saves me posting a new one.

I'm after AC on my early 2011 13"MBP but I'm in the UK and was wondering where was cheap/good over here. All the Amazon ones on the UK site are not being sold by amazon, but third parties. THere's no way of telling if these third parties are approved resellers.

Cheers peeps :eek:)

Nick

jimtron

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
NEVER buy AppleCare from eBay. Apple changed their policy some time ago and they now ask for a proof of purchase when activating the code. A receipt of eBay auction is not valid proof and thus not accepted by Apple.

I would give my vote for Amazon as well. LA Computers is good too.
Yeah, LA Computer looks to have the best price I can find (from non-shady sources). That's a safe source, right?

LAC has Applecare for Macbooks at $230; Amazon and B&H are $244.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.