Best place to buy the iPad in the uk

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Aksta, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Aksta macrumors regular

So my iPad is being collected tomorrow as I have a rubbish screen that has varying tints on it.

I decided to go with a return rather than a replacement because I wanted to get my new iPad earlier and to avoid reaching 1 to 2 weeks for the apple to send a new one.

I was wondering which store is likely to have a iPad in stock (64gb wifi) and, more importantly, has a good return policy just in case the new one is crud as well. So far I have looked at currys/pcworld both are renowned for their awful return policy and they don't have any wifi models left to reserve in store. I have also checked Argos with limited success as the local one only have the 16gb models in stock. anywhere I have missed either online or on the high street?

Or am I doomed to wait 1 - 2 weeks?

2. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

John Lewis comes to mind. Have a look at their online store and see what stock they have.

3. PONR macrumors newbie

Yea john lewis seems to be a safe bet, or another apple store if near by.

4. paulro macrumors member

I would imagine that the best for your needs would be John Lewis, as you're getting a 2 year warranty, and decent return policy.

That said, they're not currently in stock I think. In fact, you'll have trouble getting a 64GB wi-fi anywhere at the moment. The situation may be different in a week or so.

I'm after a 32GB Wi-Fi and have put my name down with my local Comet. The nearest John Lewis is about 125 miles away from me, and the nearest Apple store is about 60 miles away. :mad:

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s)

Apple is the best place. All my local stores have stock.

6. Aksta thread starter macrumors regular

My local istore is out of wi-fi models. I will try the nearest apple store which is 20 miles away if I do not find anything by Friday.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s)

Apple is the best place. All my local stores have stock.

8. DigitalJunior macrumors member

Might help someone - if you work for the NHS you get 7% off at Comet or Currys :)

9. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I was once a patient of the NHS. Would that count?

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Argos will take anything back for the first year with out even checking it. I know a number of people who take stuff after 51 weeks and exchange for a new model.

11. GeekGuys macrumors regular

Not true. Argos have a 30 day returns, no questions asked if you have a receipt.

1 year return if the product is broken, but this is a repair or replace policy only.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

They always replace. They don't employ people to check the stuff. You can just tell them it's broken.

13. Bryan839 macrumors newbie

Don't know what store you shop at - but that isn't the case.

In fact, iPads are excluded from the Argos 30 day money back guarantee, once unsealed, and after 30 days, the product is sent for repair.

14. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Never purchased an iPad from Argos,
    but for other things I know this worked.
    Personally I would go for Apple Store
    followed by John Lewis, then probably
    PC world if you don't want to do the
    online route. Online probably go Apple
    or Amazon.

15. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Move to the Bristol area. We've got two excellent Apple stores within a few miles of each other.

I almost always buy my kit from the local stores because of the ease of returning it if necessary. But online and you have to return it online!

I often buy refurbed online and so far it has never been a problem.

16. themat macrumors member

Tesco? Got mine from there today and got 100 quid off. Staff discount and about 6 months of club card points to spend.

17. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Have you been in the Arndale Apple store or know if they have any 16GB WIFI only in? I'm going into town on Wednesday so I'm exploring options if Apple have no stock. Argos and Comet are in the Arndale so i can try there or John Lewis and the other Apple Store in the Trafford Centre.

Lots of Tesco's in and around where I live so I'll be getting all the phone numbers tomorrow! :)

18. skytears13 macrumors newbie

I think most of the models were still in stock at the Cambridge Apple Store when I was there last week. :)

Apple Store: Excellent return policy (14 days no questions asked if in good condition). Also do a 3% (university) student discount. Will offer to set up for you if you want it (I didn't - it's easy if you're familiar with iOS/etc, though I can think of people I know that would have found the setting up useful). They are also very good with stock levels if you call them up to ask.

John Lewis: 2 year warranty standard. They also do a click and collect to John Lewis and some Waitrose supermarkets so that may be an option if there's a Waitrose nearby? Their return policy is confusing though - their website lists 7 days (as per distance selling regulations), when I called up their customer service the person said 28 days (though was unable to find documentation for me about this), and the John Lewis standard policy is unlimited? 7 days is probably a safe bet though. Stock levels wise are less good - I called them on 16 March (launch day) and the person on the line was unable to tell me if they were even in stock in the store...

I didn't really consider other retailers to be honest as the Apple Store and John Lewis are more or less the most conveniently located stores in Cambridge. Though other places that might sell them (in addition to Argos, Comet, PC World, Curry's, Tesco already mentioned) would include HMV (they had the iPad 2) and mobile networks (probably less relevant since you're after a wifi-only).

19. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

It's a bit longer than 1-2 weeks, I ordered one March 14th, just shipped today March 26th, and there is no way it's getting here from china in 2 days.

20. paulro macrumors member

The model I'm after is out of stock at my local store, according to the 9PM store reservation service on Apple's website. Although you might get lucky by just walking in.

----------

My local HMV only sells the 16GB new iPad and iPad 2. No 32GBs or 64GBs.

21. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

FYI, mine shipped Saturday, arrived here 8.40am today.

22. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

It seems like most places I've tried only have stock for home delivery, not store pickup. I could have reserved one at a local Argos but it was only until the end of today and i don't have the money until Wednesday so I didn't do it.

I've checked Tesco, John Lewis, Curry's, Pc World, Comet and the Apple store has got no reservations. I'm wondering if I'd be able to jut walk into an Apple store and pick one up. I'll try tomorrow and post back here!

23. paulro macrumors member

I walked into an Apple store last year for an iPad 2 when there were supply issues and got one. It's probably the best option.

There are probably loads of people who reserve online, and then change their mind, and there will be people returning sealed units due to a change of mind too.

24. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Same thing happned to me. I returned my online order and went to PC world for a new one. They have a good amount of stock in my local pc world and I even returned the ipad becausse of a stuck pixel. But normally their customer care is terrible compared to apple.

25. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Fricken lucky, god dang dude.