Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Just wondering if any of you know of a good place to go to "get from it all" in the Bay Area? Like, nature and stuff, know what I'm saying? Mountains maybe? A lot of trees? Lakes? Clear views of the sky/stars? Awesome sunset views? Yeah, that's it.

Is Yosemite the only choice? Anything a bit closer where one can stay until late-ish at night, then leave and head home?

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Not precisely what you're asking for, but you might try taking off a weekday outside prime tourist season and heading to Muir Woods early in the morning. Really early. It's incredibly tranquil, and in the morning the wildlife is usually still around. If hiking is your thing, there are some pretty extensive trails.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Mountains maybe? A lot of trees? Lakes? Clear views of the sky/stars? Awesome sunset views? Yeah, that's it.
Hm, Santa Cruz? :) You can pick-- woodsy mountains or beach. Walk around in the woods during the daytime, and at night, go and try to have a bonfire at the beach (some rangers aren't cool w/ it, some are).

Sorry, I don't know of specific places to recommend, though.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
I just moved to Santa Rosa (well really anywhere California) permanently but someplace I really liked going to to get away, since I'm from Dayton, Ohio, was Bodega Bay, about an hour west of Santa Rosa.

Get to see some large hills, great sunset over the oceans, beautiful mist just as the sun sets, and GREAT place to see the stars - all over the ocean!

Here's a photo I took back in 2006, just before I had to go back to Dayton:

attachment.php

Just a thought. I love it there.

~Crawn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.