Best place to line for the iPhone X in Orlando?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by masciam, Nov 1, 2017.

1. masciam macrumors member

Hi,
    I will be in Orlando for the next few days (I’m from Brazil) and would like to know from your experience which store is likely to have more stock, Millenia or Florida Mall?

Also, do you know if all iPhones bought at full price are unlocked? In the past years I’ve bought t mobile and sprint phones and they were unlocked out of the box, but I’m not sure about the other carriers.

Thanks!

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Line up outside the store! If it is a mall they may not allow you to line up.

Buy the Verizon and it will be unlocked for sure.

3. axesol, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017

axesol macrumors newbie

Orlando here - the one in Altamonte Springs will probably be less busy

4. Caliber26, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017

Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

There are three Apple Stores here in Orlando:

Florida Mall
    Mall at Milennia
    Altamonte Springs Mall

The first two are in areas that a lot of tourists go to, so those will probably be the busiest. Altamonte is a little further north into Orlando (about 45 minutes from Disney) but I think it’s worth it to avoid the larger crowds.

If not, I say try the Florida Mall. I’ve actually camped out there before and they let us line up inside the mall, just outside of the Apple Store. Just make sure to use the backside entrance in between the M&M World store and Macy’s.

Keep in mind, that regardless of where you go, you'll probably want to line up at some point this evening. I expect a lot of people will bel lining up for this phone. I got there at around 4am for the iPhone 4S and there was already a long line.

5. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

Millenia and Altamonte will not allow you to even be in the parking lot before 6 AM. This results in a mad rush into the parking lot, and a sprint to the mall doors.... not fun.

Florida Mall typically allows lining up at the M&M entrance the night before, and the line usually starts before 8 PM the night before launch. This is a fun line though, bring a chair, make friends.

6. winterny macrumors 6502

Since you've done this a few times before, any word on how stock tends to be at these locations? Yes people do make a mad dash to get there early ... but if someone just waltzed in at 10AM, would they be picked dry?

7. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

I would say that there is zero chance of trying to get in line at 10 AM and getting a phone.

The line at Florida Mall for the iPhone 4 took all day to clear. It zig-zagged the entire width of the hall, and down an entire hallway and a half. I don't expect it to be that long, as they've gotten better with line logistics, but I'm mostly certain all stock will be accounted for by 8 AM, if not way before.

The Apple stores in this area typically get a couple hundred units, and the carrier stores 30-50, in my experience. But, the Apple stores get shipments daily, so if you don't want to camp out, your best bet would be to check for reservations at 8 AM every day until one pops up. That's what I did last year, and had the phone by Sunday.

8. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Although its true that Altamonte is least busy but they dont get much stock at all. Florida Mall gets the most stock out of the three stores so even though lines are longer and more people, better chance to get a phone there. Just my two pennies

9. masciam thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the tips, but there’s no way I’m staying in line overnight during my vacations :). I’ll try going to the Florida Mall at 5 am or so and if the line is huge I’ll just give up and go back to my hotel room. I’ll also try to call the Millenia tomorrow and check if they will allow cars early in the morning, so I could go there as a backup plan.

Do you really think the Florida Mall Store gets more stock than the Millenia one? I went to both stores today and the Florida Mall one is smaller and much less crowded.

10. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Which phone are you looking for exactly

11. masciam thread starter macrumors member

I’ll try to get the silver 256gb, but any size and color would be fine.

12. jam36a macrumors newbie

yes if you buy at phone at full retail it will be the unlocked A1865 model
    --- Post Merged, Nov 2, 2017 ---
    They will allow everyone at the Florida Mall location to line out at 5a. There is no camping out allowed this year. If you are there trying to camp out, security will ask you to leave
    There will be no night before camping allowed....I know for sure at Millenia and Florida Mall. They will not even let you come in and park in the parking lot before 5a.

13. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

That's a shame. The chaos caused by keeping everybody out of the parking lot until 5 or 6 am is crazy. I'd think that's more dangerous than just letting people line up... Law enforcement will be there anyway.

14. jam36a macrumors newbie

I agree. The mad rush to find a parking spot and running towards the line will be crazy. I heard there were quite a few parking lot wrecks the last time.
    i hope to meet some cool people who would even hold your spot in line for a bathroom or snack break

15. axesol macrumors newbie

I'll have an extra one tomorrow if all goes well I may be willing to sell

16. cannono macrumors 6502

cannono

Florida Mall is definitely bigger and gets more crowds.

17. jam36a macrumors newbie

i plan to do the same. if they allow more than one purchase

18. axesol macrumors newbie

I already pre-ordered mine which will be delivered tomorrow but i also pre-ordered an extra one from another retailer which i'll be picking up tomorrow so i have an extra one that ill either sell or give to family

19. masciam thread starter macrumors member

Would you say it’s better go to there or to the Millenia?
    If anyone is interested, I just called both places. The Florida Mall will allow people to start lining at 5 am at the m&m store’s entrance. The guy from Millenia said that it will be up to their security team to decide when people will be allowed to line up and that it will depend on how many people will be there.

20. masciam thread starter macrumors member

I got here at 5 am sharp and was able to park, no problems. There are about 60 people in front of me and a couple hundreds behind. They let us in at 6 am and the store will open at 8.

21. jam36a macrumors newbie

I wonder how the line is now? And the stock? You think sold out by now?

22. masciam thread starter macrumors member

I was there for almost 7 hours but was able to buy 2 iPhones X silver 256 gb. Everyone in the line was great and it was as nice as a 7 hour line could be.

As for stock, they had A LOT, I would say easily over 500 phones. I went to the Millenia at 3 pm to have lunch at the Cheesecake Factory and asked if they still had any phones left. The girl I talked to told me they were done for the day but that they’d get more phones tomorrow. If they get that many phones again it will be easy to grab one.

23. tengorazon macrumors member

The line at Millenia this morning was insane, but they said they had enough stock for everyone at that time. Glad I preordered though. Was first in the store by getting to the preorder line at 7 a.m. for my 8 a.m. window.