best place to sell 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yodayoda, Nov 24, 2011.

1. yodayoda macrumors regular

anyone know where i can get the highest resale value? looking to grab the galaxy nexus and use the money towards that..

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

3. Tearabite macrumors regular

Tearabite

Check Nextwoth.com.. At least there you don't have to worry about getting scammed or eBay/Paypal unilaterally deciding to seize your funds.

4. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

5. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

That website makes me extremely mad. Yeah I agree you don't need to worry about getting scammed. YOU ARE getting scammed using that site.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

He said he wants to get the highest resale value.
    Not 25% of what its worth.
    OP try CL, this way you can meet locally and there's no ebay or paypal fees involved.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OP> You might check Gazelle also. You won't get as much as CL or eBay, but it is far less hassle. You can get an estimate of what they will give you free on their web site.

8. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Craigslist or eBay for sure. Don't go on those "we buy your gadgets from you sites"

You should be able to get double of whatever they offer on CL or eBay, if not MORE.

Right now, Gazelle will give you $325 for a MINT condition iPhone 4S 16GB.

You could easily fetch about $600-$700 on eBay/Craigslist (probably a lot more too)

Now if money is not so important and you don't feel like spending a week going back and forth with people, you just want to get rid of the item you can always go the gazelle route.

9. MacAttacked macrumors member

My vote is CL all the way. Only sell local, cash only, and meet someplace safe.

I sold my 3GS on CL and it paid for my 4s, took about three days to sell too.

10. yodayoda thread starter macrumors regular

lol why would somebody pay 600 dollars for a used 4s when the price is 199 new?

11. Robo6675 macrumors newbie

12. labman macrumors 604

labman

you better check ebay on what they are going for before you sell.. my Iphone 4 can easily fetch about $350 on Craigs. if I listed it tonight I'd have several bites at least by morning.. that's one of the reasons we love IPhones. :D

13. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I've had really good luck selling my used stuff on Amazon actually.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is certainly true one can get more money by using CL or eBay instead of a service like Gazelle, but let's use accurate numbers if we are going to compare.

eBay recent completed auctions on used 16GB AT&T 4S iPhones are running up to about $530. Subtract 9% in eBay fees and you have $482.30. Not $600 to $700. So the decision is is it worth $157 to use a service like Gazelle? Given all the horror stories we see about fraud on eBay some may decide it is worth it.

15. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Absolutely right. Craigslist eliminates the fees so $500+ is not unreasonable there, but it also involves a lot more work (responding to individual prospective buyers, taking time out of your day to meet the buyer, etc.). All three avenues have their place.

16. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Gazelle and other sites are the modern day pawn shops of cell phones and electronics. You will get half if you are lucky, of what you can on CL or ebay.

$325 for a iPhone 4S 16gb? That's stupid. $600+ on ebay and CL.

17. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yup, I recently sold a 16GB 4S White for $580 on CL.

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

See my post above. You do pay for the convenience of Gazelle but not to the degree you claim. If you have a link to a completed eBay auction for a used 16GB 4S for $600 I would sure like to see it.

This is no different than trading your car in at the dealer vs. selling it yourself. One is less work/hassle/risk for less money and the other is more work/hassle/risk for more money.

19. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Are you serious? If a site ever spelled " I am going to rob you blind!" this is it! Stay away!

----------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iPhon...0703354620?pt=Cell_Phones&hash=item23169eb2fc

$50 off.

The qouted price by Gazelle and other similar sites are rarely what is paid. They find excuses to mark down the quality of the phone you send it. Go ahead, use them. Not worth losing $170 for some said convenience.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nice find. But go look at recent sales. They are almost all between $520 and $530 so I think that is a more valid expectation for the OP. Again, don't forget eBays 9% fee, which brings even the sweet deal you found down to a net $501 (not $600+).

I have read negative posts about bait and switch with trade in sites, but not much with Gazelle. I sold my iPhone 4 on Gazelle and my daughter sold her 3GS there and we both got exactly what was originally quoted by Gazelle. I have also used eBay for my used iPhones before, but just did not feel like messing around with it this time. I got $259 from Gazelle in early October for my iPhone 4 and felt like it was worth the hit to avoid the eBay hassle.

I don't have any investment in anybody using Gazelle, I was simply offering it as an easy alternative for the OP. If we are going to compare alternatives, let's use realistic numbers.

21. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Yeah, good idea. $501 vs Gazelle's $325 IF they pay you that amount-it's a crap shoot. $176 difference. Is that worth it to you? Probably not most.

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Even using the high average of recent sales, eBay nets you maybe $157 more than Gazelle. It might be worth it to OP. Who knows.

Also note that most of the recent $520-$530 recent sales on eBay had free shipping, so that comes out of your profit also.

You want to talk about a crap shoot. Just search these forums for people getting ripped off trying to sell their iPhones on eBay. Let's not act like eBay is a risk free sure thing.

As an aside, if Gazelle gets your item and they offer you less then the original quote you just decline the offer and they send item back to you. Does not cost you a thing other than some lost time.

Like I said, it is just an option.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dude, Gazelle better be paying you for all this advertising:D
    We get it you're happy with them, then keep using them.
    The OP said highest resale value and that site or others like it will not get anywhere near the top amount you can get for your device.

24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Very fair point "dude"... but if we are going to discuss alternatives let's at least use real numbers, not fantasy.