Best place to trade iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pman219, Nov 17, 2011.

1. pman219 macrumors 6502a

pman219

I bought a white iPhone 4S and I'm wishing I had gotten black.
    If I post this on craigslist, am I going to get swamped with B.S. ?

I have never posted anything on there, and I'm just looking for what to expect I guess.
    Any advice would be helpful.
    TYIA

2. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

Good question. I have a 32 gb black 4s I might be selling and although ebay brings the most money its kind of risky!

3. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

I have successfully sold a few things on there (a couple of ipod touches along the way), and you can be successful; just know, going in, that you're going to have to deal with SOME b.s. There will be folks on there, who swear up and down they're going to meet you (& 8 or so times out of 10 they will), but if they don't, just chalk it up.

Try not to get too frustrated. But I can't imagine you'll have too many problems selling what you have.

4. HeezyBear macrumors regular

craigslist is very useful. I've sold multiple iPhones on there and they all sold within a day or two. Just make sure you deal with people locally. If they say they can't meet up for whatever reason, it is most likely a scam and you should just stop responding to their emails. Make sure you meet up in a very public place, take a friend with you, and reiterate (in a nice way) that it's a cash only transaction. Also, if you want to be very safe, ask politely that they pay you with bills no larger than $20.

5. GoTexans macrumors newbie

Watch out my friend was gun point outside a shopping mall. Don't meet anyone in the parking area at night or even day time. I will meet someone in a bank!

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

HeezyBear made good suggestions. Be prepared for the lowballers too, they're looking for the 1 in 100 desperate seller. Easy enough to ignore them. Sometimes you'll find someone who tries to bargain once you're face to face; walk out on them. (I've not run into this personally) Use Google Voice for a phone/text number so you can rid yourself of any problem children if needed. Counterfeit pens are cheap, pick one up if you will regularly use craigslist.

GoTexans makes a good point too - parking lots are not good. Meet INSIDE somewhere, a place with a lot of traffic but not where snatch&run into a crowd is an option (i.e. mall food court); I've generally used a fast food or coffee shop. Daytime only.

Most importantly, go with your gut instincts. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

7. andymac2210 macrumors regular

Give craigslist a miss, if the phone is stolen it can be IMEI blocked at any time and there's NO WAY to get round that, nothing will remove that.

I'd NEVER buy an expensive phone from anywhere but the actual seller or someone with good rep on ebay.

Selling is another matter however, ebay is probably the best if you want to fence your phone and get a new one, you'll probably get near to the actual price this early on after release.

8. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

Have you had it over 30 days? Can you not return it?

9. MrWaffles macrumors member

just weed out craigslist responses based on grammar. And meet them in a bank parking lot or something in the middle of the day. Always talk to them on the phone first too.

10. pman219 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pman219

Thanks for all the info / tips...

Anyone near by Rochester, NY interested ?

11. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I would suggest place with lots of people and security camera, so if anything happen to you or the merchandise, it is on video.