iPhone XR Best place to walk in and get XR tomorrow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jenjen80, Oct 25, 2018.

1. jenjen80 macrumors member

I didn’t preorder because I just decided yesterday that I want to upgrade. Are my chances good of walking in a store and leaving with one tomorrow (without arriving at an ungodly hour)? What store would be my best bet? Apple Store seems obvious but I’ve always preordered in the past so I don’t know what launch day availability typically is. Verizon, Target, and Best Buy are all in my area as well.

2. Porterhouse macrumors 6502

Porterhouse

I was able to get the Apple Watch S4 on launch day, and that was at 3 p.m. But you never know.

I think that istocknow.com keeps up with that, though I can't vouch as to their reliability.

3. tl01 macrumors 68020

I know my Best Buy had xs and Xmax phones on launch day. I had to stop by there late on launch day for something unrelated and the guy I talk to there about phones said I could have gotten mine there. So maybe try BB it apple doesn’t have one.

4. Otflyer macrumors 6502a

Otflyer

Istocknow notifications helped me get my 8+ and Apple Watch 4 sbss. It’s very reliable in my experience.

5. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

Wouldn’t hurt to stop by an Apple store to check.

6. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

keep in mind that on launch day stores open early.

7. AlthePal macrumors newbie

AlthePal

I didn’t plan to buy my Max on launch day but I was already at The Grove in L.A. and I noticed on Apples site that what I wanted (Gold 256gb) was available for store pickup. I just selected the closest available time which was 7pm. Only had to wait an hour, went to the store and was able to pick it up. Funny thing is, there was several people there who were upset because they pre-ordered for launch day pickup, but for some weird reason they never got a second email confirming their order is ready for pickup so they weren’t able to pick up their phones that day despite ordering way before me. I’m not sure where you are, I know the Apple store at The Grove is one of the most popular ones in the nation so they had huge stock, but you could try reserving on Apples site for store pickup and see if it’s available.

8. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Zimmy68

What stores will have walk up stock?...

[​IMG]

9. jjohnstonjr macrumors regular

jjohnstonjr

Pretty positive that EVERY Apple store will have them in stock

10. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

Neither iStockNow nor the Apple site indicates that stores local to me (SW NY) have any XRs in stock at all. I was hoping that the Apple team just hasn't updated their reporting about inventory yet, but I'm starting to get the impression that the stores just don't have any stock for walk-ins. Bummer. I was hoping to get an XR today that way.

11. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Just go. I was at my Apple store and there was no line and plenty of stock.

12. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

Where was that?

13. Mackinjosh Suspended

There's no lines at Apple stores. I guess the days of that are over. Just order one for store pickup or walk-in.

14. Smartwatchlover macrumors member

Smartwatchlover

Buying it right now at Apple Store Abu Dhabi, no queue, all colors/combinations available.

Red, 128 GB. Later on some pictures and first impressions

15. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

Oh, Abu Dhabi. Of course. That's near Newark airport, right? I'll get right on over there.

16. Smartwatchlover macrumors member

Smartwatchlover

Come on, I guess this forum has the ambition of being international!

17. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Go to Bestbuy, you might get a gift card as well. Go wherever the best deals are because EVERY store will have stock for walk ins. This year is not a big launch.

18. Mackinjosh Suspended

The only place I've seen a long line so far is in Japan, and those people will queue up for anything.

19. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Those people...lol

20. dionnfr macrumors member

I walked in the Verizon store this morning at 830 and was out with red 128gb by 9. I was the only one getting a new I phone and I’m very happy coming from a 7+

21. jenjen80, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018

jenjen80 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all! Best Buy opened same-day pickup for the XR again so I have a coral one waiting on me to grab during date night. :D

22. Mackinjosh Suspended

Yes, those people. The Japanese. If there's a new device, game, console, handheld etc etc etc they'll queue up like crazy for it.

23. karmatourer macrumors 65816

karmatourer

Thankfully yes,inspite of some challenged individuals who can't resist a snarky comment. They probably will never have a passport or even know what it's for.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2018 ---
    This IS a huge launch spaced over a month and I expect the 10R will be the biggest seller in some time.

24. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

So, I took your advice and just went. And lo and behold, not only did my local store have the exact color and GB I wanted, they had lots and lots of other colors and configs, too. I don't know if they have every color and every config, but the sales guy said there wasn't much traffic in the store for the XR today. There were a LOT of people in the store for other things, though. And plenty of people buying other phones, too.

I don't know why iStockNow was wrong and even the Apple store site was wrong, but my store had plenty of inventory.

And, I have to say, the display is really nice. I don't know what people are complaining about. Sure, I get it that OLED is better than LCD and all that. But visually, this is a very nice display. I put it next to my X and compared the two, and I couldn't see a significant difference. Not $250 worth, anyway.

25. nordique macrumors 65816

Every colour and size in stock at my local apple store. Looks like apple has stocked this phone up!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 26, 2018 ---
    I don’t disagree regarding display. The OLED screen is nicer, everything is sharper, videos look much better especially HDR supported ones

But I agree: it’s not worth the price difference! Compared to the Max, it’s 350$ USD and in Canada it’s almost 460$ difference...def not worth it for the screen alone, and all the other upgrades are so minor. That difference (460$) is a 40$ monthly plan for 2 years!