Best Practice for Siri and iCloud on multiple iPhone/iOS devices

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alfista, Aug 1, 2012.

1. alfista macrumors member

Hi all,

my wife and I each have a 4S and an ipad. We have the same iCloud account on each phone to share calendars and contacts.

However, it seems that Siri now thinks I am my wife, since setting up her iPhone 4S and setting her contract record in Siri. Apparently, it pushes that change back to iCloud and sync's it across devices.

We also share apps and music using the same itunes account.

Can anyone recommend some tips on how to best manage this scenario? How does Messages and FaceTime play in?

Cheers,

Jason

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Honestly, I think the only solution is to each have your own account. Any backups you do will probably restore the phone to whoever backed up the most recent.....sounds like a recipe for disaster.

3. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I agree with Mattopotamus. Unless you want to have the phones be identical, it could cause problems.

I would turn off iMessage for starters... I ran into a problem where all my incoming texts were also going to my iPad... Not only did I not want that to happen, it also started showing people my Apple ID email address instead of my phone number. I created my Apple ID back when I got my first iPod back in the day... I do not use that email anymore. One of these days, I will go to Apple and see about changing it.

4. DefBref macrumors 6502

Separate accounts for icloud and share the account for purchases. This is what I do for me and the wife.

You can still create a calendar which you both can share, but do you really want the exact same contacts? Sure a lot of them you will share but there must be people you know that your wife would never need to contact and vice versa.

5. LittleGwen macrumors 6502

Totally off topic here but.. isn't it kinda creepy how we refer to technology as though they are alive? And how... they "think"? The I, Robot scenario doesn't seem too far fetched.. lol! :p
    just to be clear, i am NOT saying anything negative about the OP's comment, just a general observation about our attitude toward technology~