Best practice of wiping HD clean before sale?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlakeBrattina, Mar 11, 2013.

1. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Had a question about the best and easiest way to wipe my computer clean before selling it. Any recommendations? I always read that fully taking the HD out and replacing it with a new one is best, but I simply do not want to go to that drastic of a measure.

Look forward to the responses.

2. simsaladimbamba

Start from the install medium (DVD or recovery partition), open Disk Utility from the Utilities Menu*, select the HDD you want to wipe, go to the Partitions tab, select "1 Partition" from the scheme dropdown menu, press the OPTION button and select ZERO OUT**.
    A bit more detailed guide can be found here:

* Guide on how to use Disk Utility from the restore / installation DVD.

** DiskWiping – One Pass is Enough

3. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

So here is the problem I keep running into, it seems that I am missing a few areas that are needed to partition this, unless of course I am doing it wrong which is a high possibility. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

5. simsaladimbamba

As said before, you have to boot into the install medium, in your case the Recovery Partition, as you cannot wipe the volume you are currently booting from.

As you probably do not have a bootable install medium made from the installer, booting into Recovery Mode (CMD+R during startup)* and then selecting Utilities from the Utilities Menu.

Is that understandable?

* No Mac coming with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion has physical restore media included.

OS X: About OS X Recovery

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

6. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

That does make a ton of sense - Now my last hurdle is that it will not allow me to partition it due to me receiving a "Could not unmount disk"

7. simsaladimbamba

Where does it say that? Are you booted from the recovery partition? If so, you do not need to go via the Partitions tab, just select Macintosh HD on the left, go to the ERASE tab and select ZERO OUT there after pressing the OPTIONS button.

8. BlakeBrattina thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. Mr. Retrofire, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire